Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Men's Junior 100m ALL-Time List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan for posting this in the guest articles.

A few notes:

'A' as usual means altitude over 1000m; 'a' means altitude over 500m. Venue altitudes are included in brackets after the city name when over 200m up.

The number to the right of the date records how many performances the athlete has in the list to that point - MLF has 9 in total, for example (the most), 1 more than Stanley Floyd.

All corrections, no matter how trivial, gratefully recived.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to Justin for the excellent set of statistics. Smile I'll update the page to reflect the notations Justin made above.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a chance to take a good look at the Juior list .. Very good list as always Justin .. What I noticed is that htere has been very little improvement from most of these individuals .. Does that mean that if you are a junior competitor that you do NOT want to be the best ???

I like Mark Lewis Francis, but has he already peaked ?? Based on this list we may have seen the best of him in Edmonton ...

and does anyone know what happened to Dwight Thomas last season ??? I saw him run in person a couple of times the previous season and he looked as good as anyone I have seen in years ... Anyone know his status ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also noticing that the Brits seem to be well represented in the Junior lists, more so than their Senior performances would seem to be predicted by. Is this a sign of early peaking/burnout or the prevalence of the club system vs. the American school system developing people at a different rate?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know one thing that I never hear anything about is "Other" school systems .. Britain, Cananda, none ... Are we the only ones that have athletic programs ?? If not, what type of performances/records do other "high schoolers" have .. And how do other systems tie into "out of school" competition ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada has somewhat of a university athletics system, but it seems comparable to our NAIA system, and most of the development of Canadian athletes seems to come through US schools (Arkansas and Michigan) and the club system, which from what I've read in the past, seems somewhat similar to European countries. I'm not aware of anywhere else that bases athletics on the school system like we do.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't they have high schools or some type of equivalent ??? And don't those have any kind of athletics program ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer to both questions is yes, but I'm not entirely sure... Canada obviously has a high school system, but I'm not sure about other countries. I know this has been discussed on the t-and-f list in the past. Justin?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list of Canadian High School Records ?? Or British HIgh School Records ??? OR any other country's ghigh school records ???
runeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Canadain records Reply with quote

I just want to say this is a sweet discussion page

i see u were asking about the Canadain records, well i've from Canada and here they are: http://www.canoe.ca/AthcanRecordbook/home.html

As u can see we've never really had any good sprinters other then Donovan Bialey , Bruny Surin and Glenroy Gilbert, and they weren't even born in Canada, and never had much for junior sprinters either, right now we have some good sprinters coming up but who knows what will happen to them, the only good sprinter we've had for awhile has been shane Neimi in the 400, he won a bronze at the World Jrs a couple years back and broke 45 last year, we'll have to see what happens
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we've never really had any good sprinters other then Donovan Bialey , Bruny Surin and Glenroy Gilbert

Although the record books no longer bear witness, I think another Canadian import named Ben Johnson deserves acknowledgement as a pretty good sprinter... Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Harry Jerome back in the 60's ... But you are right in that there hasn't been a pleathora of sprint talent coming out of Canada ... Judging from Canada's recent championsihps, however things are looking up for Canada !!!!!

Last edited by Conway on Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on Harry Jerome. I tend to forget about him for some reason, but he certainly was influential in Canadian sprinting.

I find it interesting that Canada has produced so little depth in the sprints, but those who have made it have rivaled the best of any other country. Could that pertain to our discussions of how to get the US distance hopes up?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ... What Canadian sprinters have had is desire and money .. Money controls what one can do in this sport ... And unfortunately for distance running it is easier to command dollars in sprinting than in distance running ... But when you have the dollars an individuals or a handful of individuals can train and focus and get the job done !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: