Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Hard/Easy days

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cant figure out what days to go fast on and what days to go easy. A sample week for me would be 5-8-5-8-4-10. On the 8 and 10 mile days I always run at least a 2 mile hill. Does anyone know which days I should run hard on, on the long days or short days? Lately I have been running at night at around 9-11 PM and I have been able to run at a much faster pace. I believe this is because it is much cooler and I lose much less sweat. But back to the question, should I make my 8 mile runs tempo runs and my ten mile run fast? I read that you should do long runs slow. But doesnt running fast on your runs make you better?
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how fast can I add mileage? I am currently running 40 miles a week, last week I ran 40 and this week I will run 40. Would it be best to add 5 miles a week until I get to about 70 or is that fast increase in mileage not as benificial as adding 5 miles every two weeks? Because I am pretty tough, I know I wouldnt get "Injured" like all those articles I read. Oh cause I only have 8 weeks til school begins, so I want to run as much as possible.

All of the good people I hear about run like 70 miles a week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably safe adding 5 miles a week. That falls pretty much within the 10% increase a week guideline. Just remember that you can't keep increasing every week. The body will eventually break down. You need to allow for the occasional sluggish week to get your legs back under you and properly adapted.

There's no reason you have to go either/or on the long run and hard-easy issue. Long, steady mileage is good for distance running, just as long tempo runs are. Shorter, high intensity workouts are also very beneficial. Experiment and see what works best for you. Alternating hard easy days is important, especially as you are getting used to the increased mileage.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Dan, I will probably add 5 a week until I reach 50, then hold it at 50 for 2-3 weeks, then go from there.

And one last question you probably have an answer for-Do easy short days benefit you? It seems like running 4-5 miles easy will not help me get faster. If it doesnt even make be breathe hard, or make my heart rate go up that much, how can it help? I love running up hills to get tired.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, short days will definitely help you. When alternating hard-easy, you have to keep in mind the bigger pictures. You are not getting stronger through the easy runs, you are allowing your body to rest properly in order to be able to maximize the benefit of the ensuing hard run. Make your hard days as hard as possible and your easy days as easy as possible. Hills are great for speed and endurance. Downhills are a very underrated way of developing and maintaining speed.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Beyond Hard Easy Reply with quote

Hard/easy is good, but I prefer: very hard/easy/moderate/hard/easy/hard/off.

Run faster on your shorter days, but all runs should finish with about five minutes really moving.

Ten percent increase weekly is usually considered the maximum. I find it even better to increase 10% every other week.

Another approach is to stagger and overlap your weekly totals. A recent six week period of mine looks like this (in hours and minutes): 5:50; 6:35; 5:05; 6:46; 6:02; 7:05. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it even better to increase 10% every other week

For someone running ultra miles, 10% a week could be dangerous. Wink

Dan
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Cooooould beeee Reply with quote

Yes, as I said, 10% every *other,* or even, as in my case, stagger the weeks by retrenching and then moving forward. Mad Dog Mike www.trainng2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like to not only to alternate hard and easy days but I like to rotate weeks as well. The general pattern I like to use is three weeks of steadily increase in either volume intensity or both followed by an accumulation week where you reduce the volume and or intensity of you runs.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Patterened Scheduling Reply with quote

I love to set up those wonderfully "scientific," training programs, but something always happens to screw up the exacting plans.

Exhaustion (the neighborhood dogs keeping me awake all night); pouring rain (trails too slippery to run on); deli belly from eating too many chiles before bed - you know, "the best layed plans of mice and men oft times go awry." Or something like that.

Fortunately, while the short term plans can get screwed, in the long run (hah), things seem to work out. Mad Dog Mike www.fakefruit.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: