Training Talk
Fat Burning, Heart Rate, Breaks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
1. If I run sprint intervals, do I burn calories in between the runs as well?
2. Does a faster heart-rate make me burn more calories?
1. My guess is that the process of recovery should make me burn more calories than usually.
2. My guess is that the faster heart-rate makes me burn calories only at a LITTLE higher rate than otherwise.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. If I run sprint intervals, do I burn calories in between the runs as well?

Definitely. However, that's sort of a trick question. Simply by breathing, you are burning calories, no matter what the activity is. Doing sprints will elevate your metabolism more than most activities, and it is unlikely to come down much during the recovery periods, so you probably will continue burning calories at a high level.

Quote:
2. Does a faster heart-rate make me burn more calories?

Indirectly, maybe, but I don't know of any direct correlation between heart rate and metabolism. If the elevated heart rate is due to exercise (as opposed to heart disease), then there probably will be a payoff in calories burned.

One of the ironies of exercise is that it raises your blood pressure, at least temporarily. So, don't get your blood pressure tested right after running. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Burning Calories During Recovery Reply with quote

Do you want to burn calories, or do you want to burn fat?

During sprint intervals you are burning calories mostly from glycogen, and, yes, you continue to burn calories at an excelerated rate during recovery.

However, if you're interested in losing fat weight (not water weight) through running, LSD is the way to go: run lots of miles at a pace that keeps your pulse rate about 65% of maximum. As a general rule, between 130bpm and 160 bpm is a good range.

In my own case, I find that running doesn't begin to effect my weight until I surpass 40 miles a week. Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traditional research seemed to indicate that sustained activity over 60 minutes would keep your metabolic rate elevated for a much longer time than activity for 30 minutes. The latest research seems to indicate that intense training (LT or VO2 max) for a shorter time frame will also keep your metabolic rate elevated for an extended period of time. You burn fat with an elevated metabolic rate.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: