Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Two LSR /week

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a month, I am experimenting running two long slow run, one on Friday night and the second one on Sunday morning. The idea was to pump-up my weekly mileage without disturbing two much my regular training schedule. I do speedwork on Tuesday (either hill repeats or fartlek), and some footing Monday and Wednesday. I use HM to control pace. The first SLR is at the maximum acceptable for that(80%), the second at minimum (70%).

I never saw a programm with such pattern but I increased my speed on other run by at least 10% since a month.

Somebody have seen or tried something similar?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and some footing Monday and Wednesday

Footing?

I like that your program has variety from day to day and throughout the week, but I don't particularly care for basing runs on heart rate (many people feel differently, though).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, you might feel that you are obeing to a piece of hardware. The gizmo need enough sweat and heat to work, otherwise it doesn't update the last HB. Sometime nearby some area (radiowaves? powerlines?) it becomes crazy, telling me my HB is 220.

But overall, I found it to be a good moderator preventing to change a SLR in a footing or regular run, particularly at the beginning and to push yourselfe at the end of the SLR. Same thing for footing, they tend to become race pace or tempo ruuns. The gizmo is not worthy for speedwork, in my opinion.

Footing = 80 to 85% maximum HB, just a notch below marathon race pace and two notches below tempo run pace.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just a notch below marathon race pace and two notches below tempo run pace

Interesting, I always look at tempo pace being pretty much equal to race pace...

Any idea how it got titled "footing"? Seems like a very strange name for something other than hiking or ankle exercises...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it, Tempo race and race pace would be about the same if you train for a 5K. As you are targeting longer distance, your race pace slow down, but your threshold between aerobic/anaerobic pace stay the same (tempo race). I will refer you here on some training Hal Higdon's schedules for Half-Marathon and Marathon. Tempo run would be done on Tuesday and Race Pace on Friday, the race pace beeing slower than the Tempo pace.

Footing: I apologize, my first language is French, I read the term in a French book (from France, Quebeckers generally dislike angliscisms)that I read before starting running and I am using-it since three years in my runner log-book. It describe any run above jogging pace but slower than race pace or tempo. Easy run don't fit well in my opinion, because "footing" runs are ran faster than SLR. I saw also programs that were suggesting faster SLR, while the easy runs are... easier. If you ever consult books and magazines in that language, don't be surprise either to see "Jogging", the word having no pejorative meanings in French.

How do you call a run shorter than 60 minutes, ran between 80-85% max HR, faster than SLR but slower than a tempo race?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could buy that.

Quote:
How do you call a run shorter than 60 minutes, ran between 80-85% max HR, faster than SLR but slower than a tempo race?

Distance. Smile

Dan
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance run... sounds like another word for SLR.

At the risk of creating my own running dialect, I will keep "footing" for now.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's SLR, slow long run?

Dan
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tought SLR was a widely used acronym for Slow Long Distance? :~
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard SLR, but LSD is a commonly used acronymn in the US for Long Slow Distance, also a play on words for the street drug...

Dan
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seams I have started creating my own dialect, which is not good. O.K. for LSD.Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Long "Slow" Distance Reply with quote

What you're doing, is what I'm doing. Sunday I ran for two hours and twenty minutes, and today, Friday, I ran a bit over 2 hours.

Next Sunday the run will probably be 2:30:00 or a bit longer, and next Friday will be about 2:15:00.

The "slow" in LSD (long, slow distance), doesn't really mean "slow." It just means slower than race pace. Even on the LSD days, I still run the last mile or so at race pace or better.

After Sunday's long run, I do a short run on Monday and take Tuesday off.

Currently I'm training for the Leon, Mexico Marathon on September 22nd. Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: