Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
About you guys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulsceltic
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did all u guys know all abou this about running did u take any courses or wotever cos i wanna b like u guys!
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-11 11:44, Hammer wrote:
Read

It's the truth. The thing is you need to read the right books. A couple of good ones to start out with would be, "Run With the Best" by Irv Ray this book is good particularly for young runners. "High Performance Training for Track and Field" by Bowerman, I don't think that this is really an amazing book but it's not terrible either, plus it has a years worth of training, planned out workout by workout for every event out there so if you know absolutly nothing you can just do what it tells you and you'll be okay. If you could only have one book and wanted to know everything possible about running the book to have would be "The Lore of Running" by Tim Noakes. It covers just about everything related to running, it's a little old so some of the info is a tiny bit out of date but not much, plus since Noakes is a South African and apperently Ultra's are really big down there, it's got quite a bit on ultramarathoning. I know I've bashed this guy but "The Daniels Running Formula" has a few redeming quailities, I like the way he periodizes his training cycles, but No matter what Jogger Digest tells you he isn't the worlds greatest coach. And cruise intervals are garbage. "Running With the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear is a book I really enjoyed, it gives a good look inside a college cross country team. "Running to the Top" by Arthur Lydiard is an interesting read and has some good fundamentals all though a few of his theories are incorrect (like when he states that altitude training is worthless) most of them are as true now as ever. The best fictional running book is without a doubt "Once a Runner" by John L Parker Jr. It's a must read.
The two best books out there on training for distance runners are "Better Training for Distance Runners" by Martin and Coe, this is a text and it is as in depth as anyone can stand. I have a degree in exercise science and I can barely keep up with much of the physiology and scientific termanology in this book. It's a brutal read, and not a book I would recommend for anyone that hasn't already read a ton of books on advanced training. And the winner of DG's -Best Running Book Out There- award goes to.... "Road to the Top" by Joe Vigil. It's pretty easy to read and understand, it tells you how to be the best runner you can be and adresses the subject of training with no gimics or outlandish promises. I'm not real sure about the length and speed of some of his overdistance stuff but that's all that I have any questions about. If more coaches and athletes read and followed the methods that Vigil lays out in his book there would be a lot more fast people.

Stay away from books written by people that regularly right for Joggers Digest (Runner's World) Henderson, Hingington (sp?), and Galloway. Their books are fine for recreational runners ,and if that's what you want to be read them. If you are interested in getting fast or in coaching people to be fast then ignore them and read the books listed above.

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree with the reading stuff .. In the beginning I read everything I could get my hands on .. Still have a rather large library of books ..

But I have found that I have learned the most by watching .. Live, TV, Tapes .. anything .. As much as possible .. Theory is fine .. But watching helps you see for yourself how things work .. Most of track and field is very technical and I think it is much easier to understand once you see things in motion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Conway, I'm mostly an observation type. Good stuff can definitely be gleaned from good books (and instructional films), but I don't learn very well that way. I also question the worth of learning too directly from others. If we simply do the same as those before us, there will arguably never be any improvement. To progress, we need to learn, observe, and experiment. Develop your own philosophy based on what does and doesn't make sense from others', and combine different components as you see fit.

Dan

[ This Message was edited by: Dan on 2002-04-14 00:35 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to all of the above, just get out there and run. Go to races and talk to other runners. You will learn a lot, good and bad, through your own experiences.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed "Tough Runs" by Michael Sandrock. He puts together 75 challenging training runs in 7 different catagories. Its like reading the favorite training done by many of the world's and US's elite runners.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out for anyone interested in running books that I have put together links to most of them (there's always more):

http://run-down.com/Publications/Books/

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: How Du Ya No all Dat Stuff? Reply with quote

I've been training, running, coaching and keeping detailed records all my life. Learning is a slow process of trial and error. It never ends until you kick the bucket. Mike training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: