Training Talk
college recruitment

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that, some JC's have a conection with certain four year schools where all there credits transfer, while other don't resulting in lost credit's. And unless you're on a pretty hefty scholarship lost credits can get pretty expensive pretty fast.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people reading this to learn how to catch the eye of college coaches or considering attending JC need to take into account hefty scholarships???

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I thought that was exactly the opposite of your point...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't getting a ton of scholarship money then college is going to be expensive. And getting your degree as quickly as possible is key to keeping costs down. In the town wher I grew up there is a little CC that has some sort of garuntee that all the credits you take there will transfer to three different four year schools, not all two year schools have this. If you wanted to go to one of those four year schools and couldn't get in or afford them right off the bat, you might want go to this CC where the credits are garunteed to transfer a number of different schools as opposed to a JC or CC that didn't have this credit transfer garuntee.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I thought you were saying having a scholarship meant more incentive to finish quickly instead of going beyond the duration of the scholarship.

Given what you are actually saying ... I would again have to point out those concerns are no different than every other student's, so it really has no relevance to a discussion about how to draw the interest of college coaches.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right but it is realavent to choosing which college to attend. And I like to slide in that kind of advice when ever recruiting comes up.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides any student who is thinking about going to college should be reminded that her or his ultimate goal is recieving a degree. And there are alot of factors that play into getting that degree.

(I am giving this advise because I have a friend who went to a JC and then transferred to a 4 year school. He has +-160 credits and no degree. When his scholarship money ran up he couldn't aford to finish school. Right now he is 9 hours away from his degree.)
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed that side bar ... Crying or Very sad ... If you are looking to be recruited odds are you are also looking for someone to pay the freight .. So I am not sure that tuitionis an issue ... Now if you're not recruited and looking ot walk on, then you have towalk on somewhere that you can afford - at least for the first year ... But back to recruiting ...

Another nice thing about JC coaches is that they usually have connections at 4-year schools ... So one of the things you may want to inquire about from the JC coach or coaches you talk to is where they have connections ... You can also go the reverse and find out if the 4-year school you want to go to has JC's that they watch or recruit from ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: