Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
5k training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nethngfngurl
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi everyone, im new obviously.
My question was for those people who train for 5ks on the weekend. what kind of speedwork do you do and how do you schedule out your weekly workouts?
thanks Smile
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you like to do and how serious you are about it. The best shape I've ever been in for 5k (sub 15) all I did was mileage, hard one day, moderate the next. That's what I like but it's a rather labor intensive method (at the time I was doing 90 or so miles per week). For your average person I would recommend running a long run on Monday, a fartlek or tempo run on Tuesday, aerobic/recovery run Wednesday, Intervals on Thursday, an easy day on Friday, race Saturday and then recover or take the day off Sunday. Although you can also do the long run Sunday and go easy Monday, also you can switch the intervals and fartlek/tempo runs to give you better recovery, I recommend doing the one you find more stressful farthest from your race. Also do what you like best the most, if you like intervals you can do them three times a week if you like tempo runs you can do two or three a week, if you like mileage then run lots of miles, just remember to do some of them fast. If you like something you're likely to get more out of it than something that you hate so use that as your guide as well. Good luck.

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my best(many years ago) I ran 5K in 18:24 on 5 days of running a week. I did runs of 4-5 miles at 7:00 pace with 2-3 milers at 6:15 pace. The 2-3 milers were done twice a week. I also did weights 2-3 times a week. Don't know how much the weights helped or didn't help. Now that is a lot less mileage than DG does. I have always believed in sustained runs at fast pace (the 2-3 milers) instead of intervals. But I have nothing but instinct to base that on.

Yes my real name is Micah Smile
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do opt for quality work over quantity. If you are trying to get faster you need to some work at race pace (sustained runs or intervals)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: