FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
changing seasons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quickster57
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best race in track is the 1600m. yet, i run xc too, to keep in shape for track season. with the cross country season almost over, i have been doing time trials for the mile, and realized that im running much slower times than last season. is this normal? what can i do to get back in shape for the mile?

[ This Message was edited by: quickster57 on 2001-10-17 18:38 ]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
realized that im running much slower times than last season

Do you mean last track season, or last cross country season? Big difference... If you are slower than over a mile than last xc season, then that might be reason for concern. If you mean compared to track, then that is pretty normal (depends how much "much" is). Any time your training is less specific for a given distance, you are likely to perform slower at it until you sharpen the training again.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between XC and track I utilze a month program where the key workouts are Fartleks and LT runs. The Fartleks are progressive in that they get quicker (and shorter) as the month gets older. I continue to do the long run (20% of total weekly distance) and I continue to work on a little foot speed. I also do more strength (plyos, and weights) during this stage.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask if you're a coach or athlete (or both), but I see from the caffeine thread that you do indeed coach. You seemed too into the rules and technical definitions to be just an athlete. Smile

One thing that I think tends to get lost in these discussions is that there are numerous ways to get to the same point, i.e. good results. However, how many ways are there to get great results? That's where one has to think about breaking the rules and risking a few casualties along the way...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe most GREAT runner run on the brink of injury. They run alot of runs fast (relativly speaking)

But I believe that there are some rules that should not be broken...exe. no more 25%of total distance at MAX VO2. Many Great runners have lived by this rule and run really fast. Besides running too many workouts at MAX V02 causes Acidosis. The body needs recovery. But recovery pace can be run at a good pace.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found one constant amoung all the great distance running coaches I've ever been around. They all get accused of pushing their runners too hard.

Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, adressing your mile time if you're at the end of x-c season and your not able to run the mile as fast as you have in track that is perfectly normal. It's important to remember that you want to be in track shape for track and x-c shape for x-c and you can't expect one to have you ready to run your best at the other right away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: