Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Passing Out After Training/Running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CurleySue
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is a decathlete at a Jr. College. He has always thrown up after a hard training session. He trains hard. This particular day he ran 3 miles, then ran drills 200's, 300's, and 400's. This time after he threw-up, he passed out. He woke up and everbody was gone from practice. It concerns me. Any ideas why? He drinks water and power-aide.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing up from a hard workout (especially intervals) often is just a sign of working hard, but it sounds like something else is going on here. What is his diet and sleep level like?

I find it disturbing that his coach and teammates would leave him passed out at practic... Sad

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CurleySue
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was behind the bleechers when he got sick and nobody knew he was back there. He is concerned about his weight and feels he needs to loose 10 more pounds. He is 5'11" and weighs about 175. He wants to weigh 165. He sleeps as good as you can in a dorm. When I asked him if he told his coach, he said "mom, I am fine". He won't tell him. He drinks lots of water also. I visited with a friend of mine who is a nurse. She said he may have been dehydrated and then when he got sick, he may have messed up his electrolytes and then passed out. He has not ever done something like that and it scared me. He also has asthma, but it has gotten better as he got older. He takes medication daily to control it. He does not feel that the asthma was a factor when he passed out. He just feels he worked out really hard and threw up and he was weak so he passed out.

I told him not to ever go behind the bleechers by himself again. It just did not scare him at all. And he is normally a cautious person.

Anyway, I being his mother freaked out and told him he had best tell his coach about it or I would. But if I call his coach, he would be very embarrassed. I think better he be embarrassed then dead behind the bleechers.

What do you think I should do?

[ This Message was edited by: CurleySue on 2001-10-30 07:17 ]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about nutrition? Also, what do you consider to be lots of water?

What events does he participate in? That would be the major determining factor whether or not he should be trying to lose weight.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CurleySue
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a decathlete, he does 10 events.
He drinks at least one gallon of water a day.
The only thing I am concerned about is the passing out.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutrition...? Wink

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: