Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Dan back in 18:11 5k shape?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Dan back in 18:11 5k shape? Reply with quote

I just checked the training section of the site for the first time in a long time, and under Dan's PR's he now has 18:11 at age 38 listed even though it seems every time I come here he's injured... are you all of a sudden in the distance shape of your life Dan? If so congrats!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sleuthing. Smile Yes, I've been training my butt off the past 3 years and ran 18:11 last May, although the course appears to have been marked a bit short; anywhere from 20-30 seconds. (The 3rd mile was a huge negative split!) I ran 18:34 in September, which I view as my current PR. I'm hoping to take that under 18:00 this year (just turned 39).

I've actually PR'd in my last seven races dating back to 2011: Corvallis 5k '11 (34 sec), Canby 3k '12 (23.9 sec), Stayton 5k (8.7 sec), Keizer 5k (~10 sec), Monmouth Mini-Marathon 2.62 mi (44 sec), Dayton 5k (~10 sec), Corvallis 10k (2:26). Keizer (18:11) and Dayton (18:34) are estimates, due to the course mis-measurement. My tentative racing schedule has a 3k-10k-5k combo over the next two months. If all goes well, I could run that PR streak up to a hard-to-fathom double digits.

Of course, I've worked through various injuries during that time, including multiple achilles and calf strains, knee issues, a pretty serious lower back injury, and a stubborn heel/arch problem this winter. I've managed to keep the downtime(s) pretty short and am averaging 55 miles per week so far this year.

My goal when I resumed serious training was to get back on the track for the 800m, but the speed of old has been very slow returning. Instead, I'm running way faster than ever before at the longer stuff. Go figure.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got PR #8 in a row yesterday, but shaved only 7.4 sec off my 3k time ... I wanted 19 sec faster.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Eddd, Dan has really been mopping up the roads the last couple of years with some superb performances. I've had the opportunity to see a number of these first hand. He has completely based his training on his book. He has a number of people that are training according to those precepts and everyone has been doing quite well. Dan really has an impact on people, including me, and with his book, that has really accelerated (no pun intended, well, maybe! ).

Been a member since 2002, but haven't chimed in lately. But saw this and thought I'd throw out my 2 cents... Very Happy

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I did a double take when I saw your name pop up alongside the new post icon. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the Open results for Canby, so I dropped in to see if you had posted anything. Just couldn't wait for Saturday's weekly recap... Shocked

Then I read a few of this year's posts and figured I'd just toss out a few thoughts.

But now I have to get back to that wonderful article by Magill in the April Running Times. Confused

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding results for the Canby Open ... that's funny on several levels! If you don't check the times on the wall before leaving, you'll never see them again.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked a.net and all they had were the HS times, which is funny because they explicitly tell you to run unattached. So, no 3K times for open athletes and no 5K times, period. Don't you think you should be listing your 3K and 10K bests under Best Marks in the Training section... Oh, wait, brain fog is starting to lift here. I went to the VOQ Racing site to get the latest results. Also wanted to see how the team did at Shamrock... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an explanation as to how athletic.net works may be in order... Smile

The system is based around teams/entries/results. There isn't a setup for individuals. If you aren't part of a team, there's no real way to be included. It's also primarily HS, although the MS and college usage is growing.

There are two ways of getting your results listed: 1) meet director does a full upload from HyTek or something similar, or 2) coach or authorized admin for a team hand enters results. #2 is what you're seeing for the Canby meet, as there are no electronic results to upload and no official status to the meet in order for results to even be sent out to attending teams.

As for the unattached aspect to the meet, a.net has no official status as far as the OSAA is concerned. It's simply a means of listing results for everyone, whether or not they were representing the team. (I always felt that was a potential slippery slope with the Site Supporter option for added features. If the team pays to use the site, that could be viewed as official enough to limit what can be listed.) As long as it's on the team's a.net calendar, results can be listed for it. And being on the calendar doesn't mean it counts toward the team's max number of meets for the season. Purely informational.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that helps. I saw Central was scheduled for the Meet of Champions yesterday, but not one entry from the school. Ties in with exactly what you said with regard to the max number of meets for the season.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central added MoC to their schedule some time recently so 1+ athletes could enter as individuals even though the team was attending ... we didn't know that until day of, at which point it was too late. I think they skipped it this year to put the budget toward meets where more athletes could compete, rather than for max. number of meets.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update: This weekend is the race where I ran the 18:11 last year. They have responded to the numerous course measurement/marking concerns (5k, 10k, half-marathon, and kids 3k all had major issues last year) and I was hoping to run a legit 18:20 there this year for PR #10 straight, but an increasingly gimpy foot has me calling it a season a week earlier than planned.

PR #9 a few weeks back was a small 10K PR (and a big win; my first in recent memory), but that was too much pavement pounding on an already sore foot and I just haven't been able to get healthy since then. The next shot at #10 will most likely be on July 4th.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time, I ran 18 minutes 5K, I was 15.
Congratulations. Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't running nearly that/this fast at age 15...

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won the 10K race overall? That's something I've still never done... multiple each of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishes though. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: