Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Knee pain!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scratchline
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Knee pain!!!!! Reply with quote

hi.. I'm 25 , 220lbs and i have started trail running regularly for the past 6 months to get ready for the upcoming wildfire season i have had no problems with any joint pain. i recived a job with a crew and all they do is run on pavement now after every run i feel incredible knee pain what could i do to help . would taking advil before i run help??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All advil does is mask the pain, although some people will tell you it has anti-inflammatory benefits. If the hardness of the surface brings on pain, you should look to the condition of your shoes for answers. My guess is they're too worn or not well enough cushioned in the first place.

Dan
BryanPT
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Knee pain Reply with quote

I agree that advil is not the right approach although it could help back down the symptoms temporarily. When I was in the military Motrin was used a lot. We called it Vitamin M because everyone ate it at breakfast every day. Not the best approach, especially at 25 years old with a very clear reason for your pain. There is about a 1 in 1,000 risk for serious gastrointestinal problems with use of anti-inflammatories. Also, as a firefighter it could limit your bodies ability to cool itself.

Clearly, your body is not tolerating the added impact. Can you run on the side of the road on the dirt? This is what I do every day. I have segment where I have to get on the pavement but I can do a large portion of my run on the dirt. Getting new shoes is also great advice but will not make up for how much impact the dirt takes.
You should also consider gluteal and hip abductor strengthening. These muscles play a large roll in shock absorption and help control knee function. You can find more info on knee injuries at www.injuredrunner.com
Idea You can also find the new DVD that presents an exercise program that is designed specifically for runners to prevent injury, recover from injury and enhance performance.
Good luck Exclamation
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second trying to find alternate surfaces to run on other than pavement if you have found it's painful. One of the biggest things for me is when I don't keep it consistent - when I run on grass, then on a treadmill, then on pavement, my knees (and my shins!) hate me...I agree that advil will help lessen the pain, but it may be something you want to look into further before you damage your joints for good...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advil and Motrin are the same!! Over the counter, they are 200 mg tablets. By prescription, Motrin comes in 400, 600, and 800 mg. Prescription generics... the same dosages.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Nicki
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee injury can be a serious health issue.If something happens to your knee you might not be able to work or run like earlier. So I advise you to get it 100% cured.
Inflammation is what causes the pain. Keeping an ice pack for a few days like three times a day can make you feel better. If you are not able to find an ice pack you can also use a frozen water bottle.
Stretching can also help you. Sit down with your legs straight and try to catch them with both hands. Do it a few times.
Do not do exercises like squats and leg extension. When climbing stairs go in a slow pace.
It would be better if you see your family doctor.
Irun100s
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other posts that you should not medicate to mask your knee pain. You need to look into the root cause of why you are having pain. I run 100 mile ultra trail races and my theory is that running is not bad for you, but rather: running wrong is bad for you. here is an article about knee pain when running. I hope it helps. http://www.hawaiianshirtray.com/injury-recovery-prevention/knee-pain-running/

Irun100s
patrictewart
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard stem cell can work wonders

DanTrail64
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glucosamine Glucosamine Glucosamine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: