Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Confused Runner

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The track season is no where near over, i still have 8-10 meets left. My very last meet is the first weekend of june so i have almost another two months of track left. But i wish i could do something active, im not supposed to anything physical that involves me moving my ankle, so that means no pedaling. But i do have good news, i migh tbe able to get back running on thursday as long as I am not feeling any pain in my ankle. I am just hoping that I will be back by saturday because our team is going to a meet that we traditionally do very well at and we want to defend our 4x8 title.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Just make sure you run very slow between the workouts and put the effort when you need to run hard. It's really the best main advice I can give Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post that I ran a big pr friday night, 4:49 mile, pr by 9 seconds. I really feel as if im getting in shape and that within a month i can run a high 4:30s
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, how are you running on the days between the workout days?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day before meets, im usually running really slow, 8:30+ pace, that along with some good training helped me pr again today, 4:45 1600, and i took off close to a second in my 400, 55.9
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! How are your splits now for the mile? I remember, I used to feel kind of like you did in the mile... People would often complement me on how fast my finishing kick was, when in reality I felt like I had wimped out leading up to the last 150 meters. My HS senior year I finally realized that, counter-intuitively, I needed to relax more for the first lap so I wouldn't have a weird, dead feeling 400 meters in, and I could continue to push hard in the 2nd and 3rd laps. I still had a decent finishing kick, but I was running a good 15-25 seconds faster and feeling more spent afterwards.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ran pretty even splits...69,72,73,70. I didnt have as good a kick as normal but i ran alot harder leading up to that last 150-200m and i still managed to pick off a few kids in that last lap. The full results arent posted yet but i finished somewhere like 13th overall at the county meet.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddd the Sailor wrote:
I finally realized that, counter-intuitively, I needed to relax more for the first lap so I wouldn't have a weird, dead feeling 400 meters in

Story of my racing career!

Steve, those are excellent splits. The middle laps will typically be slightly slower than the first and last, barring a tactical race. Keeping it in that 2-3 sec range is just about perfect.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Steve! Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh the season is over! Pretty succesful season, lowered my mile pr by 18 seconds, took 9 off my 8 and a second off my 400, albeit i only ran that three times and never rested.

Heres my summer plan, tell me what you guys think...

10 days off, 4 days off and on of easy runs and then a week of just easy running, then the real training begins...

All of my weeks are going to be basically the same, except for the mileage. Im planning on building up to 60 miles in 4 weeks and then staying there for the rest of the summer.

Sunday-Off
Monday-Hard run 6:15-6:45 pace
Tuesday-Easy 7:30 pace
Wednesday-Hard workout either, tempo, fartlek, or mile repeats (on the track or a trail)
Thursday-Easy 7:30 pace
Friday-Hard 6:15-6:45
Saturday-Long run

Im planning on running a one or two local 5ks over the summer so in that case ill just switch the long run to wednesday and run the 5k on saturday. I havent figured out the exact mileage but both the hard and easy runs will be between 6 and 8 miles, long run 10-12, and once i work up to 60 ill throw in two a days, two or three times a week to reach that mileage goal, most likely on the hard run and workout days.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. The only thing I would say is, don't focus too much on holding a specific pace every day, especially over the summer. Pay more attention to effort when doing your base work. That way, you don't get frustrated with the occasional off day and you don't burn out early by jacking the intensity up too high when it doesn't much matter.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats true. I just wanted to have some sort of basic goal before I got started. I was holding 6:30ish pace for 6 miles without too much of a problem during the track season, so i wanted to work off of that during my base training. The 7:30 pace was my recovery pace during the track season, so again I just want to work off of that and improve on that by the end of the summer.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating...I ended up making a few slight adjustments to my summer plan...My hard workouts on wednesday took alot more out of me then i was expecting so i turned thursday into just an easy day, 9+ pace, and friday became a recovery run 7:30ish...I also added one more different wednesday workout so i end up doing everything twice, 4x1200 meter hills with an equal recovery. I feel so much stronger then last summer, i did a 6 miler at 6:24 pace today, no way i could have even come close to that last year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having a 3rd day spacing out hard workouts. 48 hours just isn't enough sometimes... I know some coaches that have gone that route with their teams to get the most out of each workout.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: