Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Sprintin Spikes Vs. Distance Spikes

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Sprintin Spikes Vs. Distance Spikes Reply with quote

I know that there is a difference, but what excatly is the difference? And what would happen if someone wore a spike made for the sprints 1,2,4 in a race like the 800 or the 1600?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain would happen!

Sprint spikes usually have no heel and are much more rigid through the forefoot and midfoot, so as to keep you in an aggressive position. Running like that for a distance race would be extremely tough.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. Now i prob need to go out and buy a pair of spikes, otherwise im gonna be racing in my trainers. Wat spikes do you recomend? I like the nike victory or mayb the matumba, but they are really expensive.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victory and Matumbo are extremely light weight. I don't think a novice (new to the distance) runner needs anything that extreme. You could probably buy last year's Montreal's (also known as Zoom Shift FB) for half the price on closeout, and it's a fairly similar shoe, just a bit more beefy.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you all Nike? or willing to check others... I run in Nikes but have considered some others recently. Let me see what I can dig up in the next day or so - but certainly if there is a specialty story near you you should go try some on - everyone fits differently.

I know some folks that love the Brooks Z2? I think is the name of it...

Anyway Eastbay always has a ton

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/advancedSearch/supercat--home/keyword--distance/prod_tp--Shoes/gender_age--Men%27s/

This should give you 3 pages of Distance shoes...
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. And no imnot all nike, during the indoor season i ran in a pair of asics and really liked them. BUt it doesnt seem like asics makes a distance spike that i like, and the nikes are the only ones that i have found that fit my taste.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem I am a big fan of Nike's spike line but not so much the trainers - I think they are getting it right with the Victory (the next iteration o fthem) - and the Lunaracer and Lunartrainer...

I am considering running Boston in the Racers...

The other one I have really wante dto try out is the Adidas Spikes I love love love the Adizero line of trainers just got the Adios and although I have not run in them yet I like the feel... so its between the Lunaracers and these nwe Adios for Boston... not sure yet.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wat do you guys thin of new balance? I havent seen too many people run in them, if any. But these fit my tastes pretty well.

http://www.newbalance.com/running/trackandfield/LDS1006X/
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried them... a friend of mine used the XC spikes and liked them but I do not know anyone using the track specific ones...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it before, it wasn't that bad but that was for me. I run at a faster pace so I don't have to worry about making heel contact but when I slowed to about 4:40 mile pace, it was very painful when I was making some heel contact. It feels exactly as if you're running in socks on the sidewalk. If you don't believe the thing about making less heel contact at a faster pace, you can try it out. When you're walking normally, try to land on the balls of your feet instead. It's impossible, you have to mechanically move your legs fast enough to naturally land on a different part of the foot. You still need to look for the spikes with that 1 cm thick white foam if you're running 800m+. Most elite 5K runners use their Nike Zoom Milers even though they're made for the mile. Did you ask this question because you were/are a 400m runner and you were only using sprint spikes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I bought the new balance flats about a month and a half ago. I love them. One of the best spikes i have ever worn. Perfect blend of wieght and support. They work great for the mile and well for the 2 mile and even work well for the 400.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want them to fit like a glove though so they can adjust to the impact your feet make with the ground. Leave the bottom of the shoe laces loose and tighten them more where your ankles are. This will allow you to have more flexibility in your foot when you lift your heel of the ground and helps the most when you're kicking at the end of a race when you need to go up on your ball of foot/forefoot. Are you familiar with breaking them in too? Everytime you get a new pair, bend them in half the other way with the front touching the opening where you put your foot in. Never bend them the other way. That's just in the beginning, what you really need to do is to run with them on for a while. Make sure you do this before every race because they shrink after you take them off and leave them for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear them for at least 5-10 min before, i dont like to wear them for any longer otherwise it messes up my warm up
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your warm up and workout and then wear the spikes when you do a 1 mile cool down on the track. This is fun but you should try doing a cool down barefooted on the grass just next to the first lane.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I dont know about this something I actually agree with 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: