Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

It has been way to long since I last logged on here! Like a lot of people who go absentee, then come back, I am out of shape by some measure. Granted, I'm not overweight at all, but you get the picture.

I'm very likely going to be joining Army ROTC rather soon, so getting and staying in great shape is critical. Soon I'll be taking a test which comprises of push-ups, situps, and a 2 mile run, in whatever order I so choose. The benchmarks I have to hit are 43 pushups, 54 situps, and less than 15:50 on a the 2 mile. I don't have any trouble reaching any of these benchmarks individually, but doing them consecutively seems another matter. Any strategies on how to stay strong the whole way through?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people say being online leads to bad health! Not being here is what gets you out of shape!

The 2-mile standard shouldn't be much of an issue with any running background, so I would focus on it from a core strength perspective. Do lots of ab work and push ups in short succession, alternating the order, going back and forth between various exercises, etc.

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ryan, what's up...
I took that similar test for USNA last year, and I thought the mile would be no sweat, but for some reason, after the situps, my legs hurt really bad (I did the situps with my feet underneath a bench, so I was using my legs way more than I was used to, which was a bad idea). I then started out the mile at the speed I wanted and was exausted right away, and it ended up pretty bad. If you only have to meet that standard and nothing more, it shouldn't be a problem, though.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

Fry the Sailor wrote:
(...)
I'm very likely going to be joining Army ROTC rather soon, so getting and staying in great shape is critical. Soon I'll be taking a test which comprises of push-ups, situps, and a 2 mile run, in whatever order I so choose. The benchmarks I have to hit are 43 pushups, 54 situps, and less than 15:50 on a the 2 mile.
(...)

I see: the Striker Brigade standards also known as the Airborne/Air Assult standards (except possibly the pushups).
Congratulations! You will be sleeping during a day and practicing during the night for the next 3 or 4 years: half--of--the--time inside a tin can on wheels!
Highest stress and highest "115" and UCMJ rate in the entire Army; unless, you want to become an officer!

I am fat (214--recent and will get off as quickly as I gained it), but even at present, I can at least run the Airborne standard.

Pushups are not for brainiacs!
It is as simply as you will make it!

Try to make between 200 and 400 pushups every other day.
Phase 1)
Make 200 pushups by making 8 x 25.
Phase 2)
Make 200 pushups by making 7 x (28 to 30).
Phase 3)
Make 6 x 34 pushups.
Phase 4)
Make 5 x 40 pushups.
Phase 5)
Make 4 x 50 pushups.
Pahse 6)
Make 4 x 75 pushups.
Phase 7)
Make 4 x 100 pushups.
This is simple! It takes an effor!

Cheanup's (palms turned in--ward on days when you do not make pushups; you should use the gym machine to aim at 100 a session, if possible) will help you in pushups, but not vice versa!
You cannot simply end--up staying on the floor after each pushup; this is where the military cheanups help you a lot!

A rule of thumb is: let assume that you can make 10 military cheanups (and you could not make even one until a few weeks ago) and 40 pushups; depending on your personal factors, it should make you capable of performing in between 45 (40 + 10/2), at the very worst, to 60 (40 + 10*2), at the very most, pushups.

Situps!
Laughing
It is the simplest to improve on!
While you watch TV do as many as possible abdominal squats, the bicycles, the flatter kicks, situps etc. etc.
Do static exercises as well!
You will be surprised how much can you do!

IMPORTANT:
Take one day a week off from the ab practice as well as practice 60 seconds drills both for abs and pushups: try to achieve your standrards within the 1st 60 seconds!
Once I had it figured out; my goal was awlays to achieve minimum 40 pushups before resting (I was nearly 32 when I did join) and minimum 40 situps within the 1st 60 seconds.

Use the momentum while performing correct pushups and situps to knock--out as many as possible before you will start getting tired!

Running!
Every dog for himself!
It is road race!

Remember:
In the end: you must perform great only on APFT and shoot well and talk yourself up as well as going a little outside the chain of command so your officers do know you (like e.g.; Mr. Lindquist performing on the same Paint Ball team as Mr. Zarza, major of the US Army).;
otherwise, you may be the best soldier on Earth, but all they see in HQ is pretty much APFT and shooting scores as long as you are below the rank of an NCO.
Spec makes Corporals sallary, but a Spec is not an NCO!
Be around old dudes who possess a Spec pride and they will square you away at least up to a spec's level.
Spec Mafia, if properly coordinated, can make two Specs (such as Zjajo and myself) run a C.Q. desk without an NCO (But the Spec Mafia must be as capable and strong as 10 years and more ago)--our new 1SG was amazed that two Specs were "again" allowed to run C.Q.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing them consecutively is not a big deal either because you work different areas of your body. After the push-ups, that's it-you're done with those and you move on to the abs. Trust me, your abs will be uneffected by the push-ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: