Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
overweight and dreaming of being a runner...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come? Does that also include interval as opposed to endurance? I say intervals are hands down the best way to lose fat. I have to look more into this though, it's different from actual training. I do admit, there are risks, just as they're are risks in driving. That doesn't mean we should look at things with total awareness. I've had overweight friends, some started running right away, others just changed their diet. Then again, if someone is really determined, they're more likely to start out hard and expose themselves to injury.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not arguing the effectiveness for an experienced runner. For a beginner, you have to be patient and gradually discover how much you can handle before adding the intensity. The sport is riddled with injured runners from doing too much too soon.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how does one discover without attempting. How could she discover she can jog instead of walking for 30 minutes? Maybe trying to jog 15 minutes at first? When I say working near max training potential one can handle I don't mean doing too much too fast. If you do too much too fast then that would be like overshooting like you said. If jogging really would be her safe range then there should be no problem. Yes, I started to run very hard at first, but not enough to injure myself like a fool and get a stress fracture in the right tibia like my rival did...and what happened in the end? I was leagues ahead of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But how does one discover without attempting.

Easy: experience. Trying to bypass experience is foolish in the context the feedback here is being requested.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once comfort is achieved at one level then its put to the next level - varying the degrees of intensity in a very slow manner - especially for a beginner.

saragirl - you have made some very excellent strides here - keep up the great work! As time goes on you will feel better and better - as much as possible try to make sure these things are done outside (within reason of course) I have always found this to be most advantageous but to each his (or her) own...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathons are easy, so many old people and people who were even obese have ran the marathon. To run the mile or short distances like those competetively, you pretty much need to run since you were in you teens. Most people go straight to the marathon.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another incorrect statement... run one and tell me how easy it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: