Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Jan- July

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natkat1881
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: wall Reply with quote

I've run into my first wall....speed training is not easy for me.... I"ve never really had to do it....and therefore don't know how to pace myself at a faster pace. Went to a track today and must have started out too fast because I didn't even make the 800m. While I did do(sprinted. recovered, sprinted, recovered) it for quite some time at a shorter distance I'm not sure if that's the way I should go about it....or if I should still go the 800 just at a slower pace then I originally intended....I want to make sure I go about this the way that will have me running my best time..
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you did some 800s, I heghly reccomend 1000s and 2000s for a race like that. 2000s are 5 laps or 1.25 miles. According to what you said that the 800m was hard, that's just the way intervals are. Do not let them consume you, just take them head on. There is no need to cofuse yourself with pace speed, just run them as fast as you can. As for the 800 you ran, even though you started out fast, just decrease the speed instead of stopping. Skipping intervals, not finishing them, will be likely to decrease your motivation more and more. After you accomplish one, you will feel that you made progress, this is what keeps you moving onto the next interval. 800s will more likely improve your overall mile time, do 400s along 1000s and 2000s. They increase speed and mile time too. Note* 400s are 3 times more painful than 800s, they will burn until you give up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000's are too much to jump into right away.

When doing interval work, the idea is to run them at either goal pace or date (current) pace, depending on the design of the workout. If you're running them at goal pace, obviously you can't do as many of them, or you need to cut the distance and/or increase the recovery. Date pace work can be done with more volume and shorter recoveries, as the pace is something you're currently able to handle.

Figure out which pace you're shooting for and work out the splits to aim for. For example, if you're doing date pace work and can currently hold 8:00 miles for a 5k, you would be running your 800's (half mile) in 4:00. Check your pace regularly and that will keep you from going out too fast.

Dan
natkat1881
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: burn out Reply with quote

I think I took it too much as almost sprinting...so I burnt myself out a little too early....then became frustrated thinking this was harder than it was. (And believe me I'm NOT one to give up.) I like to feel the burn... I almost like to feel like I'm not going to make it in the very end because I live for the feeling of accomplishment when I do. I'm just very unaccustomed to any sort of speed training...so this will be hard at first... I did however start a ten week program which alternates every other week with speedwork and tempo work...so I'll get another shot at it....have you ever seen Hal Higdons training programs??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higdon is definitely one of the reputable ones.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, then he should stick with 1000s for a couple of weeks, then start with 2 sets of 2000s after endurance has been built. For now stick to hard 30 minute runs, 400s, 200s and 1000s. Think of 200s as a sprinting session, or speed work. 400s should help your overall speed, and 1000s should help with vo2 max improvement, plus speed endurance. The 30 minute runs should improve overall circulation to better improve oxygen debts, and capillarisation and glycogen burning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK there are a few things to deal with here so I will put them together

Well you must teach me Zen master how to contort my body to get all my sore spots.. Rolling Eyes just kidding

Higdon is a good person to follow and work with I have used some facets of his workouts in my own from time to time.

So agree on the goal pace and date pace stuff - it the big advantage about running on a track - constant feedback... the 8 minute bit is a good thing and a nice place to start - 2 minute laps 1 minute half laps... you know pretty quick what your pace is and you dont have to do crazy calculations.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you must teach me Zen master how to contort my body to get all my sore spots..

The more sore spots you have, the more practice you gain figuring out how to get to all of them... Wink

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: