Training Talk
400's

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christhebig
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: 400's Reply with quote

we do 400's tues and thurs. tuesday we do 12 400's with a 1:40 800 inbetween each one and a 5 min break between every 4. Thursday we dowe do 16 400's with a 1:40 800 inbetween each one and a 5 min break between every 4 then race sat. and every other day we do over distance like 7 miles sun. mon. wen. fri.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 1:40 800 break? Confused

Is there a question in there somewhere...?

Dan
christhebig
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah what is everyone else's workout like
christhebig
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:40 means a minute 40 seconds and 800 meters
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 1:40 + 800m? That seems like a very odd, overly specific recovery period...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm when you are doing like middle distance intervals of 400-800 meters, aren't you supposed to resume when your heart still feels a bit unstable? Because if you take 5 minutes rest between each 400m you will never push your heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
christhebig
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get this straight we do a 400 in a set pace like 72 is mine it is based off a timed mile we do on sat. (before reg seasons that is) and i ran a 5:00 so my pace for each 400 is 72 because thats what the chat say we have to do then after the first 400 we do a 800 cool down in a set time of 4:00 min. then we do another 400 antil were done with the 4th 400 then we take a 7:00min break and after that we do another set of 4 400 with a half mile in between.

so what do you think about that work out ? easy or hard

The guy that inventied it had a kid doing 6 sets of them (4x400)

P.S. Mt. Gilead High School had a kid that did them and won the 2 mile at state and breaking a 15 year old state record of 9:08
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds too easy to me... That's about double the rest that we take on similar workouts. With that much rest, I would be aiming for faster than race pace on the intervals, since you're so fresh going into each one.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you need more sets of 400m. 12 sets at MAX, I reccomend startign with 8, then increasing by 1 set every 2 weeks until you get to 12 sets at the most. From there on, the only thing you can improve on is intensity, and rest time. I personally am aiming at 12x400m in 52-54 sec with 30 seconds rest in between, and adrenlaine surges at the end of every 200 meters of the 400 meter intervals. The reason high school "miracles" like Jim Ryun, Marty Liquori, Alan Webb, and the other highschool African American who ran a sub 4 were able to do so was because they had very high intensity interval training programs like the 400 meters. Jim Ryun had asthma too his whole career, and ran sub 4 at 17. Start with a jog of 200 meters or a rest of 1:30 as "rest" between your 400m intervals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
christhebig
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it helped me drop a lot of time off my 5k time 17:00 to a 16:34 wich was my best time ever
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 minutes is nothing, that 400 meter workout will not help in lowering your mile time lower. It helped you now, now you need to make changes. As for Dan, I have been thinking about how Morceli, and Guerrouj had such low miel times. I looked at both of their training programs, and here is what I found: Hicham does 10x400 in 52-54 sec with help from a rabbit every last 200m. Morceli does 12x400 in 55-56 sec. Now Jym Ryun, and Coe did 400m intervals but at around 62 secodns for each. Maybe their 400m workout is the secret to running a 3:40 mile?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's the secret, but it is a very key, core workout. Many people train with that sort of workout because of the simplicity of breaking down goal paces and how well it generally carries over to the real thing. Obviously, if you can only average 75 seconds on your 400's, you're going to have a tough time holding sub-60 for 4 of them in a race... On the other hand, running 55's with lengthy recovery doesn't mean you can string them together at that pace, so it's a matter of balancing speed, volume, and recovery to be a good race pace indicator.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been coughing a lot lately after every run. I do not have a cold or anything, I just cough after I run. I never used to cough before though. Maybe it is a virus or an object is stuck in my lungs?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much dairy can cause it, or any dietary problem, for that matter.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coughing is starting to die, it is not as bad now after a run. By the way I got more used to interval training, now my 800s, 400s and 300s are easier to run. I am able to now jog between the 400s for rest time instead of just standing, I have been able to run them at a more constant speed like 1:07, 1:08, 1:09 instead of 1:07 and 1:20. I just can't seem to push my speed more to decrease my times. I make larger strides, higher leg lifts, calf flexes, pushing forward for inertia, etc. Yet I still don't see a change in speed. Maybe it is just my limit because of my age?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: