Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
achilles problem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul that's excellent!! Huge congrats on the sub 20!!

Dan, congrats to you and your team as well! Very Happy

Jaz
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jaz! Very Happy
I had a hard time getting my act together, this year. I lacked motivation. I missed a lot of training. And I missed some key early season races that I have enjoyed doing in the past. I had a 5K in May in 21:25 and a 10K in June in 44:19, pathetic efforts in my opinion, although I managed to place in both. I took 10 days off after the June race. So I was quickly getting nowhere and out of shape fast.
I can't emphasize enough that the real key to this turnaround was just showing up at Dan's doorstep ( Bush Park ) in July and start training with his High School XC teams to take advantage of his coaching. At first they just accepted me as some friend of Dan's, but soon after that they were expecting me to show up. So now I had two reasons to get out the door, my own training and the people I was training with. For the next 10 weeks, literally all my hard workouts were done in Salem with Dan.
I got a real kick finding out that the boy's team and the two top girls ( whom I did most of my training with ) qualified for the State Championships. Another bonus was seeing Dan start up his training again after spending the better part of a year with a badly torn up ankle.
I hope this stays with me through the seasonal changes coming up, so I can be consistent with my base training and approach next year in better shape than I was at the beginning of this year. Maybe I can hold off Father Time just a little bit longer.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, how old are you and how old is Dan? I hope it's OK if I ask that Very Happy

How cool is that to be able to run together...you guys are lucky!

Jaz
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got me by a few years, but I'm more broken down...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz, I'm 57, Dan is just a pup!
The first time I ever ran over 7 miles was with Dan a few years ago at Bush Park. He's been hurt so much since then that we haven't gotten together much, so having him run in some of the training was great. On the long interrupted runs ( steady state runs with hill repeats thrown in every couple of miles ), the boys would go out and Dan and I would split up the girls and make sure they didn't get too far separated. Dan might start out with the lead pack, and then we'd switch so that he spent time with all the runners. These workouts were 90-120 min and the time went pretty quickly.
I'm looking forward to the day when Dan's training goes well enough so that he gets into a 5K. He'll be well under 6:00 per mile. He has a lot of speed and can hold his own in the tempo work.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pretty stoked if these old legs and lungs could pump out an 18:45, but the sort of consistency in training it would take to get there is a long forgotten memory. I could maybe run it over 3 weekly installments... Ok, make that 4 for the last 0.1 miles.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, do you realize that a 19:55 at your age gives you an age graded equivalent of 16:26? That is great!!!!!!!! It also computes to a 78.47% of your age group standard. An 80% is considered a National Level time.

You are good. Shocked
Jazmin
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly....the boys are FAST!! I'd like to see what you guys could do in a marathon! Shocked

Jaz Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: