Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
WAF - Stuttgart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: WAF - Stuttgart Reply with quote

Powell 9.89 in a close race from Lenny Scott [9.91PR - I bin hyping him up all season and after his 9.97 Zurich, 9.91PR Stuttgart and the way he has been finishing better, he has lived up to my hype!] & Tyson Gay 3rd [9.92] - Scott got out on Powell, and Powell only just won in the end, but was relaxed in coming thru for the win with a record 11th sub-9.90 clocking

Tyson's duece was awesome 2day - 19.68 into -0.1 !!! His season speaks for itself as does his sequence of recent dueces; 19.70, 19.84, 19.79, 19.68. Spearmon 2nd in 19.88 [PR] with Bolt in 3rd [20.10]

Wariner 44.02 for the win in an astounding race. Kikaya 2nd [44.10] to beat Innocent Egbunike's 18yo Africa Record! Merritt finished faster than all of them over the final 100m and ran a massive PR [44.14] - the 400 will be very interesting in the next couple of years with these three big guns running very quick [Fastest 1-2-3 400m since 1996 ATL US OT Final; MJ 43.44, Butch 43.91 & Alvin H 44.09]

Liu's 12.93 left me speechless! It was a very close race betwee him + Robles mid-race, and then I saw AJ storming over the barriers and thought he was gonna snatch the win. Liu held on though and when I saw 12.93 I was estatic, into -0.6 too! Robles 13.00 [musta been slightly disappointed that he didn't dip under 13.00, but I'm sure he will next year] & AJ 13.01 which is awesome for him after the season he has had

Perikils' 400H was fantastic. 47.92 for the win ahead of the young Van Zyl [48.08] who will surely dip under-48.00 soon. Bershawn got blown away by both of them, but I'm sure he'll be back next year with some fast times like he was last year

Allyson is back! 22.11 for an equal-PR [for me, her 22.11A was always her PR, whether there was doping-control or not at that meet]. She ran off the bend well, and held off Sanya's finish. Sanya's 22.17 was a PR, and she finished well, but Sherone closed the gap immensely. I don't know what she was doing up to 150m, but she closed the gap with an awesome finish. Her 22.22 is awesome in itself, and had she have gotten out better, I'm sure she would've challenged Felix

Sanya was back 2day and dominated the 400m. She mad up the stagger by 200m, and just kept goin away from the field. As she approached the finish I thought she would just break-49.00, but 49.25 is still awesome. She beat Novlene Williams [50.36] & Shericka Williams [50.44] by over 1.00 !
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherone won the 100m comfortably in a swift 10.89 [-0.2] way ahead of Torri Edwards who ran a season's best of 11.06 and looks to coming back into good form, so expect a sub-11 from her next year, with Allyson Felix in 3rd 11.07. What is Allyson's PR for 100m? If she caught a really good start, I'm sure she could go sub-11 - LoLo Jones set a PR of 11.24 back in 5th, which should bode well for her 100H

Speaking of 100H, Michelle Perry won a close, exciting race in 12.52 from Damu Cherry [12.56], Pedriat Felicien [12.58SB] & Susanna Kallur [12.59]

This year's WAF was the best I can think of
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recap. Sounds like all of the sprints and hurdles were great races!

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waf was definitely a great event with performances on par with an olympics or worlds.
If my memory serves me right xking kikaya broke charles gitongas altitude african record of 44.15 set back 1n 1994 I think.

Gay was the performer of the meet with his 200. I am running out of
superlatives for this magnificent sprinter.

However you cannot take away the performances set in the hurdles. Xiang was fabulous, the youngster robles looking to great things with a 13.00 pr and above all AJ who at 35 or 36 has to be the performer of the meet if you take the age factor into account. He can still mix it with the best and in an event that is overwhelmed with so much talent at the moment.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the men’s 4 x 400 m Team USA, I do not see them defeated at least until the 2008 Olympics; however, at the very top there are only two men, now, Wariner and Kikaya (44.02 and 44.10). Kikaya is the only men who can steal the gold medals during the worlds in 2007 and/or the Olympics in 2008 from Wariner. It has happened to El Guerrouj, it may happen again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot discount Merrit who has been the third man for the latter part of the season and ran wariner close on a few occasions as well as beating kikaya.

It will be interesting to see what carter focuses on next year and how much he can improve on his 400.

Either way i am sure he realises it will be no easy way to the gold with Gay and Wariner proving themselves as formidable rivals going into next season.

If I was carter though I would stick to the 200 based solely on that 19.63 run. As we have seen if he can put it together anythings possible over that distance.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kishan Gill wrote:
You cannot discount Merrit who has been the third man for the latter part of the season and ran wariner close on a few occasions as well as beating kikaya.

It will be interesting to see what carter focuses on next year and how much he can improve on his 400.

Either way i am sure he realises it will be no easy way to the gold with Gay and Wariner proving themselves as formidable rivals going into next season.

If I was carter though I would stick to the 200 based solely on that 19.63 run. As we have seen if he can put it together anythings possible over that distance.

Well, the 200 m is as tough as 400 m at present, and I have to mention only one name: Tyson Gay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, let me say that if the IAAF wants the sport to improve marketing wise in the US, it MUST find a way to have events like the WAF and World Cup televised in the US ... A shame that all we get are second hand reports ...

As for Carter, he will make both events interesting next year ... I doubt we see him focus on a single event ... I actually think that might hinder him ... I think we'll see him run all three sprints ... With possibly the deuce being the most frequequent ...

A rested Carter will be dangerous ... And I can see he and Gay pushing each other close to 19.4 in a race with the right conditions ... 19.32 is closer than people might think ...

As for the 400, Wariner is still way ahead of everyone else right now ... Yeah he was run close the last couple races ... But he was never really challenged ... Looked like he was just out to win the last couple races ... No one else can go mid 43 right now .. And he will be better than that next year ...

Course Tyson is pretty much in the same boat in the deuce ... With the exception of the X-man's one race, no one is close to him either ... Next year will be a doozy in the long sprints ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid conway that coverage of track here in Britain is not what it once was but I assume it is still better than what you get.

I assume you do not get coverage of events such as the penn, drake , knoxville relays on national tv stations but only if at all on local stations.

We have discussed this before many times but it is strange that a country that is so dominant in this sport fails to bring the success to the publics living rooms.
Just too much empasis on the big 4 pro-events I guess.

Going back to the WAF I really hope some runners can step up and give wariner a hard time next year just to make this event exciting again like the 200 and 110 hurdles and the same goes for the 100. (MJ took the fun out of the 400 for a decade)

My bet if anyone has the potential to do it next year will be carter and merrit and possibly kikaya (unless he has hit his lifetime peak) and hopefully gay can really start to run powell close, he has managed to get within striking distance this year anyway.

But it seems that the high hurdles and the deuce will continue to be the most competitive events next year.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get Penn on television ... That's it ... Although this year and last we got the Reebok New York, Prefontaine, and Carson meets on television ... In addition to Nationals ... Last year we had NO Euro meets, but this year OLN televised the Golden League meets ...

So actually this year has been better than most ... But still poor in that WAF and World Cup at the least won't be on television here ...

I expect all those you named to step up in the 400 next year ... Just not sure it will be enough to challenge Wariner ... And Gay will be awesome ... I expect to see him beat Asafa ... Not saying consistently, but it will happen ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gay certainly indicated that he is the only man currently to pose a challenge with his 9.88 win with a considerable margin.

The WAF certainly provided some great competition and times and it was a shame it was not shown in the u.s as it was mainly the americans that produced the goods.

A great relay win by the us team in 37.59. I cannot recall the last time the americans ran that fast. Aside from gay the other members of the squad weren't exactly top flight 100m sprinters although smoots is a 10 flat sprinter but spearmon has never run below 10.2 but it was the superb exchanges and Gays blistering third leg and smoots strong anchor that made them unbeatable. If they can excange like that there would be no reason why they should not go 37.2 or quicker if you stick someone like scott in there.

Moving on, great win by simpson which was as dominant as gays.
The performance of the cup and the comeback of the year has to be AJ beating liu and running an eyepopping 12.96 to beat jacksons cup record of 13.07. the old man still has fight in him. He came off well ahead after the first hurdle and liu and robles were unable to get back although liu closed a little of the last hurdle.

Congrats also to sanya richards in breaking brisco-hooks long standing american record and leaving the opposition including the european champion trailing.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kishan Gill wrote:
but spearmon has never run below 10.2

Actually a week or so again Spearmon set a New PR for himself in the 100 of 10.17 [shortly before his 19.88 at WAF] - I think 10.17 is pretty darn good, considering that his first 50m of ANY race appears as if he is almost crawling comparing to the others [even up against X-Man who's bend isn't nearly as quick as others] - I rememba I saw Spearmon runnin in a 100m B race last season and he was appalling until 50-55m when he came home strong [ran bout 10.27 that time] so 10.17 is a good improvement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: