Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Advice on training needed please

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Advice on training needed please Reply with quote

Hi Im Shaun, I am 24 now, I used to use this forum about 2-3 years ago before I stopped running. I have just started training again as I want to get back into the sport I love. This summer I am planning to do series of 5K races that start in 2 weeks and run every 2 weeks through July and August, then there is a 5 Mile race in August I also want to do.

So basically I am not going to be racing over 10k. I have done a few training runs a couple of times a week for the last month.

Today I did a 5K Time Trial to see where my fitness stands. To my shock it took me 21.22 and I was going flat out. Considering my PR from when I was 17/18 is 17.34, it was a surprise how slow I have got.

I am thinking of going for a 30 minute jog and I mean jog every morning and then training at night aswell a few days a week to start with.

Any suggestions on the kind of training I should be doing to get back to my 5K PR time will be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years off will do that to you...

The simplest approach is to get back to doing the same training that got you into good shape in the first place.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After that long of a lay off I would be wary of trying to do too much too soon. Ease into your training and monitor your body for any pains that are different from normal soreness.

I would not try two a day workouts. If you do one workout good enough then you don't need the 30 minute jog in the morning.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah's right about the two-a-day workouts.
You need to get some base training under your belt or you are just asking for trouble in your lower legs and tendons, including your feet. 30 minute jogs per day for the next 2 weeks would be the place to start. No fast stuff. Use the first couple of races as a hard workout, and jog for at least 15-20 minutes after the races.
Work at reaching 4 miles in 32 minutes a couple of times per week, with the other days slower. This may seem slow, but it will tend to be at a strong aerobic effort without pushing.
After the second race, start adding a 20 min fartlek run on one of the days. Depending on how fast your gains are, you could start at one minute on and one to two min off. The on portion will be slower than 5K pace, probably at 7-7:15 mile pace. Work up to 30+ min with a 2 min on 2 min off regimen, with the on portion at your best, current, 5K pace.
After the 3rd race (6 weeks?) you could add one day of tempo intervals. Something on the order of 2 miles at tempo, half mile jog. You shouldn't have any problem starting at 15:00 for the tempo portion, and if your improvement is dramatic, and it should be at 24, then 14:00 wouldn't be a problem. Just be careful to not make these too hard. Your races will still be the severe workout for each 2 week period. You might start at 2 intervals in one session and add a 3rd after 2 weeks. This will definitely help your end of the season 5 miler.
A program like this will help you organize your workouts and slowly build your mileage up.
Add some 150m strides after the slow run days, maybe 4 at 5K pace, and change those to 100m strides at the end of July, maybe 6 at mile pace, the last couple faster if you are feeling good.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that schedule Paul. I've long believed that the emphasis for 5K and longer races should be on tempos and fartleks rather than intervals.

But then I read in the Lore of Running that Emil Zatopek trained on nothing but intervals when he won the 5K, 10K and marathon at the same Olympics. Confused
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice I appreiciate it and will do something similar to what Paul has suggested, I know it will take me a while to get fit but it will be worth it when I start getting back under 18 minutes for 5K Smile
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!

Keep us posted on your progress.
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a steady 6 and a half mile run today and I can already feel an improvement in my fitness. I have a 5K race in 9 days and I am expecting to do it in under 20mins.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your next race turns out to be as good as you hope, then some major changes can take place in your program. The emphasis will still be to add volume without tweaking any body parts. Then slowly add intensity for the last couple of races plus the 5 miler.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 5K Race is this Wednesday and so that I know where I stand I went for a hard 3mile run today, I pushed pretty much as hard as I could and got round in 19.38, although I went through the first mile in 5.50 and then died off for the rest of the course lol. I hope this hard run won't affect my performance in the 5K on Wednesday to much and at least I know I should be under 20 minutes in the race.
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, well I have just got back from my first 5K race and I did it in 20:53, This is probably the slowest I have ever done a 5K in my life even when i was a kid. I am very dissapointed, It was pretty humid and the course had a few small hills in it but still I didn't think I would be so slow. I guess my fitness is in a very poor state. I just didn't feel race fit at all i got a slight stitch around halfway, but I started steady and seemed to get slower my first 1k which was where the hill was was 4:10 and the rest were similar. I have another 5K race in 2 weeks and hope I get under 20 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions on what training I should do over the next few weeks?

I was thinking a bit of Fartlek or maybe hills to build strength.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to discourage you initially, but my advice would be to forget about racing for a few weeks and get your conditioning up first.

Dan
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should have waited a bit longer before I raced but I realy enjoy racing. I am going to really up my training now, last week I did 18 miles including 2 hard 3 mile runs and the rest easy/steady runs. My poor showing lastnight is going to be my inspiration to run and train harder, I have never been injured so hopefully I won't get injured.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of thoughts Shaun. Never underestimate the effects of humidity. It can sap the energy right out of you. The other thought is to concentrate on the conditioning like Dan said. But that doesn't mean you have to forgo racing. Like you, I love to race. Just don't put a lot of high expectations on the racing right now. Concentrate on getting in shape and just let the races evolve as your conditioning evolves.

You'll get there.
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, I have another question, what is the best kind of training for me to do to improve my conditioning?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: