Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
US Nat'Ls

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: US Nat'Ls Reply with quote

US Nat'Ls are up soon [21st to 25th June] and the Sprints are packed!

Who are your picks for the top placings in Men + Women 100, 200 & 400?
I'm gonna study the entry lists, and give my picks later

IAAF US Nat'Ls Report:
http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=35031.html

USATF
http://www.usatf.org/events/2006/USAOutdoorTFChampionships/
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the declared lists I would go for Gatlin, carter and crawford in that order for the 100m.Brunson and scott may get a look in.
The 200m on paper looks like a spearmon, Gay and Wariner finish but the latter two may be reversed.
The 400m seems wide open as it seems wariner and Carter are not taking part.
I need to think about the womens races.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks

Men
100:
1. Gat 9.81
2. Gay 9.98
3. Crawford 10.01

200:
1. Spearmon 19.87
2. Gay 19.94
3. Wariner 20.04

400:
1. Merritt 44.45
2. Rock 44.48
3. Washington 44.59

110mh:
1. Trammell 13.04
2. Arnold 13.08
3. Johnson 13.12

400mh:
1. Jackson 47.84
2. Clement 47.96
3. Carter 48.08

Women
100:
1. Williams 10.96
2. Jones 10.99
3. Edwards 11.04

200:
1. Felix 22.13
2. Richards 22.19
3. Boone-Smith 22.36

400:
1. Richards 49.44
2. Hennagen 50.08
3. Henderson 50.25

100mh:
1. Powell 12.46
2. Kirkland 12.55
3. Adams 12.61

400mh:
1. Demus 53.35
2. Glover 53.62
3. Johnson 53.78

Pretty random picks for the times, but I'm sure the meet will be great nevertheless
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not given Gay enough credit in the 100, he should figure in the first five places but I don't think he will do better than third.

I have to confess I have not followed the performances of most other events including the womens as I have been caught up like eveyone else with the World cup so I will reserve my judgement on the rest.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the results as they arrive:

http://usatf.org/events/2006/USAOutdoorTFChampionships/schedule.asp

I never thought we'd be seeing Marion Jones as National Champion again... Gatlin is now a sub-10 guy on an easy effort.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gat 9.93 into -1.2 is awesome [9.85 w/o wind], as is Richards' 49.27 MR to claim the Women's 400m and Wariner's easy 20.28 [-1.3] 200m qualifier

Looks like Virgina Powell is the real deal with a victory in the 100mh [after her 12.48 at NCAA]

More great sprint action to come today...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powell and Gatlin are a world apart from the rest, I haven't seen such margins of victory since the days of carl lewis.
They have built up a great deal of interest in future head to heads that The last time I recall such an interest was back in 1980 with Coe and Ovett who would avoid each other on the circuit until the olympics thus building up a lot of excitement and speculation. Great for the sport.

Wariner, very impressive time into a wind for a qualifier. Looks like he will give spearmon a run for his money. Cannot discount Gay who ran a great 100m. I assume carter has chosen not to participate, which is a shame as he would have figured highly in the half lap after his scintillating performances in the 100 and 400 at the ncaa.

The only area where their seems to be a dearth in performances is the long jump so far, traditionally such a strong event for the men yet rose richmond jumped a descent 6.93 just over the legal limit for the women.

As for marion jones , it is good to see her back to some sort of form. However as you must have read , Jamaican sherone simpsons looking hot this year with a 10.82 in her championships.
X King, you hit the nail on the head for the 100m.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://usatf.org/events/2006/USAOutdoorTFChampionships/results/F4.asp

Nick Symmonds, just graduated from little ol' DIII Willamette U. (I coached there when he came in as a frosh), took 2nd place in the 800m final. I had a feeling he'd beat everyone but Khadevis once he made the final (won his semi), as he's simply got too much late race speed for anyone at a similar level to handle, and only Khadevis is strong enough to run away from Nick early. Still, quite impressive; PR'd by nearly a second and a half. Nice capper to a career that saw him win all 7 of his races at DIII Nationals over 4 years (800/1500 double 3 years but only ran the 800 the other year, coming off double knee surgery).

Not exactly Sprint Central material, but the thread was already here...

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spearmon 19.90 for the duece title, with Jordan Vaden [???????] 2nd in 19.98 !!! I'd never heard of him before he made the final, but apparently he has made some mammoth improvements. Will be exciting to see where he goes from this

Wariner in 5th - expected him to medal, but 3rd was 20.14 so it was always gonna be tough for him

Dominque Arnold won 110mh in 13.10 [-0.4] over Trammell [13.14] with two unattached guys getting 3rd & 4th [Ryan Wilson 13.22 & Robby Hughes 13.30 respectively]

I don't know why Felix DNS in the duece final, injury perhaps? She ran 23.13 in her semi [!] so maybe she just wasn't feelin it, Boone-Smith was though with 22.31 for the win

I thought Sanya Richards had that $100K cheque pretty much wrapped up - how wrong I was! I always thought Demus would win, but 53.07 is awesome

The Men's 400m threw up great performances. I didn't expect Rock to win let alone run 44.45, and Merritt did well to PR at 44.50 - if those two keep improving, it may be USA 1-2-3 all the time at the major championships! Don't know what is 'up' with Williamson though - he really should be a regular 44.50 guy now, at least - still has time to sort it out
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, some coaches consider the 800m as a sprint rather than a long distance so you may not have flouted the sprint central rules Smile

My feelings exactly regarding Vaden, where did he come from ?. Then again , the americans have such a pool of talents that they come up with new stars every season.

I too expected Wariner to do better but I have always felt he would not be able to get to the same level as MJ in the shorter race.
Sorry Tyson Gay could not start his race.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't surprised by Wariner's final. He's shown himself to be a 20.2 to 20.3 guy, and for whatever reason appared to be maxing it out in the rounds, which I suppose isn't unusual for a long sprinter with the endurance to hold max efforts.

I too wondered what was going on with Felix... She ran slow in the first round, too. I hadn't heard anything about her being injured, but it sure appears that something is wrong.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix ahs been nursing an injury since Doha ... And on top of that she got the flu ... So she's working her way back ... Not too worried about her ...

Funny about Wariner ... Bout 6 weeks ago his PR was 20.60 ... Now everyone says he "bombed" with a 20.24 !!! LOL ... Wariner did what he does, eh was conistent the entire meet ... So now he can get out of bed and run 20.2x !!! Few more meets and he'll be in the 20.0x range ... And the BIG thing is that his quarter will be so much better now !!!! SCARY ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think he actually got faster, or just more accustomed to the shorter race?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he actually got faster ... Its not like he never ran the race before - he was 20.40w in high school ... And if you watch his race he's just as "even paced" in the deuce as he is in the quarter ... Its an increase in speed ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's the first time I'm aware of him actually focusing on the event. Sprinters race their way into shape, so it stands to reason that someone who's only run it sporadically wouldn't show much improvement until doing so regularly.

I guess we'll know when he gets back to 400 running...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: