FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Bob Kennedy Retires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Bob Kennedy Retires Reply with quote

The best American distance runner (over the last 20 years) called it quits today. Kennedy still holds the US records in the 5,000 (12:58.21 in 1996) and at 3,000 meters 7:30.84 1998.

I know he retired today but when was the last time he ran well???

I'd say he's the best American distance runner at 5000 meters because he has the record but that is as far as I'll go. He was the best disance runner during a time period that the US was not competitive in the events above 400m. Meb K. and Shorter are definatily rank above him because of their accomplishments in the Olympics.

Did Kennedy ever run the Marathon??

Who will break his 5000m time??? Webb???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mere formality, but it's a nice acknowledgement for the best domestic of his generation. He never ran a marathon that I know of. I admire his toughness and daring, best typified by the probably not so wise surge in the '96 Olympic final, but he was usually just along for the ride and doesn't leave that much of a lasting impression. Could just be the amount of time that's passed and my memory...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96 will always stick out im my mind. But other than that I would agree witht the "just along for the ride" quote. I think that Webb will better his marks and BK's image will suffer. He was fast (for an American during a weak period in history.)
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of his lack of fitness over the past few years, Rob broght something to the table that no one else has - the guts to be different .... Kennedy trained with the Africans in an attempt to get better - and he did ... Too many Americans seem content to be the best in America - while sliding well behind the rest of the world ... Rob did not settle ... And it is THAT attitude that I will miss !!!!
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK was tough and ran with guts but he is often a sad reminder of what US disance running had become. Being a "distance nut" I am forever hopefull that the next young crop of distance runners will be the next Pre, Shorter, Virgin, Ryun or Mills.

I believe in Webb, Rupp, Meb K., Ritz and the younger group that is in college (Solinsky, Cormier) and the even younger group in HS (AJ Acosta, Mercado Bros.) Looking at some of the training that is currently taking place @ the HS level I believe that BK will end up being mostly a footnote. "The Larry Holmes of distance running." That is how I see BK and I think that is how history will remember him.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, that's a good point. Regardless of the outcome, BK was the guy in the 90's that set the tone for the current crop of U.S. distance runners who are attempting to raise the bar.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he set what should have been the tone ... Unfortunately none really had the guts to follow !!!! If the "pack" had followed Rob we'd have a whole lot of Webbs out there ... Rob set sail and no one else boarded the ship ... Sad
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Bob Kennedy. He never seemed to guage himself against just other Americans, or non Africans. And a sub 13 minute pb os nothing to gock at.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennedy started a marathon last year but was a DNF. I forget which one. I think that in a Runner's World news brief, he said he just didn't have the proper attitude to train like he would need to train...

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's so far removed from his glory days that I am sure the light went out a while ago ... Had to be hard struggling to try and get back to where he was ... Because where he was was a very special place !!!!
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
Well, he set what should have been the tone ... Unfortunately none really had the guts to follow !!!! If the "pack" had followed Rob we'd have a whole lot of Webbs out there ... Rob set sail and no one else boarded the ship ... Sad

I think we could make quite a discussion out of that Smile

Yes, Webb and Kennedy are both gutsy, but they also have talent that only one in a gazillion people are born with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: