Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
injured ... what else is new?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming up on 10 weeks... I was walking without assistance by 8 weeks (3-4 wks behind schedule) and did 6 hours of pool running last week. However, as the bone gets stronger, my concerns that there was more to it are resurfacing ... I'm beginning to think I partially tore or split the Peroneus Brevis tendon, which, from what I've been able to gather, could take a year or two to heal. Anyone know where I can get a back alley MRI done? Neutral

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope that tendon did not tear. That is a long time to rehab and injury. I kinda know that from experience.

BTW, I thouht Peroneus Brevis was an Italian marathoner. Shocked
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude that doesn't sound too good !!! Not sure about the back alley MRI ... Hmmm ... anyone know any friendly podiatrists in the area ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prospect has sort of killed my rehab enthusiasm... I suspect what happened is the hard ridge that popped up over the break was the tendon split and/or partially rolled up, not a bone chip like I originally figured. Makes sense that it would have shown up normal on the x-ray. The doc's explanation that it was just swelling didn't fly with me for several reasons:

1) he said it was likely just a sprain, which I was 99% certain was wrong

2) through dozens and dozens of sprains, I've never swollen up

3) it wasn't puffy like swelling

4) the hard ridge was there immediately after the injury, was extremely localized, and didn't get any larger over the next hour (at which point the cast was on), which doesn't fit with the swelling response

5) the doc and rest of the hospital staff barely gave me the time of day, let alone taking the time to thoroughly diagnose things

I can step down and place full weight on it fine, but when I angle my foot or push off, it's a moderate shooting pain in the tendon. I don't know what else it could be... I should be well past the recuperation period from having the foot immobilized.

FWIW, I don't think P. Brevis moved up to the marathon until switching nationalities to Qatar...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months later and I'm finally "running" again! I went for 5 minutes on the treadmill Wednesday, at what can best be described as somewhere between a moderate walk and a shuffle... I'd be lying if I said the foot wasn't a bit tender, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's under-use soreness, not lingering tendon damage. I ran again this evening for 10 minutes; felt much less sore and nowhere near as fatigued, so that's good. Between the two runs, I covered just shy of 1 mile and burnt a whopping 160 calories...

Looking back, I see I never updated things. It would appear I actually ruptured two tendons. I go the distance. Neutral

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.00 miles today, and it only took me 13:45! A few twinges in the foot, but nothing unbearable. I probably could've gone 20 minutes before fatigue would've taken over.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 mile today in 12:30. Foot felt quite a bit better this time (got pretty sore after Tuesday's run), although there was a fair amount of ankle soreness the last 4-5 minutes. A bit of stretching and ice should take care of that.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.3 miles in 15:00, 1.0 passed in 11:58... My ankle is pretty dang tight and sore today, unfortunately. I had to run on the inside of my foot right from the get go, which isn't particularly good. I might have to try putting the orthotics back in for a bit. I think it's just a matter of too much tension in the injured tendons for the outside of the foot to support full weight right now.

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how it feels to come back slower. wayyy slower than before the injury. it can be tough! hang in there!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't intentional, but exactly one month after my last run, I laced up the trainers again. Actually, I just slipped them on, as I never untie my shoes anymore... The tendons got way too painful after the last run, so I've just been walking for the past month, up to an hour a night on a near daily basis. I decided to try running outside today, for the first time in 7.5 months. Felt pretty good and as stable as can be expected. I managed about 2 miles, with a walk up one hill in the middle. I could've gone longer, but didn't feel the need to risk it. Now to see how it feels tomorrow...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I know how frustrating these comebacks can be.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome glad to hear you are out there again..
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a whim, I decided to hit the track today and help pace a couple of the kids on a tuneup workout. Probably the first time in 2+ years I've done anything timed on the track... I made it through an 800 in 2:43 and a 500 in 1:38, both of which just about killed me. At least I provided some wind break up until the last 100m of each. I don't know why they were in such a rush to get finished. Rolling Eyes We were way under pace as it was.

It didn't help that a large chunk of my outsole pod fell off while warming up -- directly below the spot I broke the foot... It was getting a bit sore towardy the end, but it seems fine now after some maintenance work.

For the future, I think training prior to such efforts would be wise...

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done ! Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: