Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Meet #10 - IAAF World Athletics Final (9/10)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Meet #10 - IAAF World Athletics Final (9/10) Reply with quote

Last meet for the year!

http://www.iaaf-final.com/us/index.html
http://www.iaaf-final.com/start_list/Classeur1.htm

I'm not sure if the listed athletes are confirmed, invited, or only eligible? I know there are some eligible ones not on the list, so I would guess one of the first two.

100 - Scott
800 - Mulaudzi, Reed, Mutua
5k - Kipchoge, Geneti

100 - Williams, Sturrup
400 - Richards
800 - Calatyud, Valdonado

Should be good for at least 1100 points.

I'll be out of town on the 10th for a XC meet, so there'll be a delay in getting the results in...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again sorry for the lack of postings lately but I think I could be OK this meet for once

100m
Scott

800m
Bungei
Mulaudzi

1500m
Komen

5000m
Mottram
Choge

100m
Barber

400m
Richards
no guevara?

800m
nothing - kind of surprised there thought it would be mutola and sinclair

5000m
Wigene
Wanjuku
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty solid. I'm guessing we'll see quite a few 1000+ point scores the final meet of the season. A big stumble could mean dropping a lot of spots in the standings.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to look and see who I have this time around !!! Think I'm just gonna let it play out and see what happens ... Have a feeling this is going to be one of those CRAZY meets with a lot of movement at the end ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you're right. Lots of last minute scratches and additions, and lots of boring tactical races...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will all find out soon enough I am sure
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final results are posted (sorry about the delay):

http://run-down.com/fantasy/index.php?go=full_results

Looks like Conway takes the bragging rights in our personal dual... Bati missed scoring 60 points in the 3k/5k by being 0.4 too slow for the combined top-8, but that still would have only moved me up one spot.

Overall, the final meet was brutally uninteresting, especially on the men's side. The women's 100 and 400 looked decent, but boy was there some ugly distance running. No surprise there.

Of the top 20 scoring athletes, the event totals are:

100M - 5
100W - 4
1500M - 3
800M - 2
800W - 2
400W - 2
5000M - 1
5000W - 1

The sprints obviously fared best and the distances the worst, which might mean we should do some weighting of the events (selection prices) next year. The 400 probably would have ranked higher if it had Golden League status, as it wasn't contested in all our meets.

Looking at the top-20 again, sorted by Score/Cost ratio, we get:

800W - 6
800M - 4
100M - 3
100W - 3
1500M - 2
5000M - 1
5000W - 1
400W - 0

The 800 was clearly the value event, with the womens' being helped by two big factors I can think of: Mutola's dropoff (thus people lower in last year's rankings being able to step up) and the big improvement of the Russians competitively. The men's looks to be a bit of a fluke, with Kirwa and Reed pretty much coming out of nowhere and Bucher being so inexpensive that his value ranking is very high. I had him in and out of my early roster but didn't think he'd compete... Again, the distances and non-GL events suffer in the value analysis.

Dan
TheGlyde
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th Sad bah... i finished as strong as Zadorasnaya in the 300m Steeple in Helsinki Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you'd be disappointed with the late slide, so I didn't rub it in with the recap...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the final meet was a yawner !!!! And not a lot of points to be had ... I'm surprised I did as well as I did ... Still I did better last year finishing in the top 10 ... Btu top 15 isn't bad - much better than I did the first year !!!! LOL ...

Not sure we have to weight the events any more than we have ... Folk just need to be aware of how the different events have done and choose wisely ... I do think we will need to look at what are becoming the HOT events ... For example the 110H was a hot event this year (and has been for a while) ... It may need to be on the schedule next time ... And the 400 - both men and women - is getting to be the same ... Also may want to look at the men's steeple in the future - it seems to draw more consistent fields than some of the other distance events ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, if half the events score the bulk of the points, eventually people will wise up (presumably) and pick from only those events, meaning rosters will become extremely similar. That would minimize the enjoyment of the game.

We really need to develop workable scoring models for the other events... Aside from flat running events, all we've got are the decathlon scoring tables to work with, and not all of them are even very usable.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: