Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Question for everyone regarding the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get some input from people on the matter of possibly switching from this forum software (Discus) to the one I use for my Programs Support Forum (phpBB).

The "Search By" (i.e. last day) features are a little better on this one, but phpBB would have advantages in the areas of searching, allowing you to edit messages, email notice of response to your messages, speed, and quite a few others.

The main reason I've only thought about it thus far is that the file storage system of Discus makes it pretty difficult to import all of the user and message info a new forum. Without that, it would mean either manually copying 2,000 posts over and trying to set dates and reply orders in some sensible fashion (yeah, right!), or lose all old posts and possibly keep this forum around as a read-only archive.

So, any clear cut preference one way or the other?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its not broke why fix it, the forum seems perfectly ok as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid point. It's not so much a matter of this one being broken as it could be better, faster, etc.

I've got the automated import program almost finished (only useful to me once at most, but others will find it of value), so that makes it a 50/50 proposition as to whether to stay or go. Smile

Thanks for the input.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=524&forum=5&0

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: