Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
New World Record

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: New World Record Reply with quote

9.77 FOR POWELL - WORLD RECORD (OFFICIAL TIME)
SIX YEARS AFTER GREENE'S RECORD IN THE SAME STADIUM
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Where?

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in Athens

http://www.tsiklitiria.org/
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was pretty much running against himself as in ostrava.
Second placer was zakari with 9.99. Wind (+1.6)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like near perfect conditions. Probably good timing for the sport, with a good likelihood Montgomery's 9.78 will be wiped from the books (what came of last week's hearing???).

And here I was just saying after the Pre that I think Powell is too cocky and lacking the necessary fire to really excel... Of course, that was more in reference to championship competition than low-key time trialing.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there has been nothing yet from the Montgomery thing... the 100 looks to be a hot event again this year.. wonder how this plays into folks fantasy teams... hmmmm
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are for those who have not been abl eto see the race actually lots of nice footage of many of powell's races this season

http://folk.uio.no/perel/
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Powell fan, but he did run a fantastic race. Great start (could've been better with the Reaction Time, as he had 0.150), Fantastic Drive Phase, Awesome Acceleration and a Great finish. It was a great race for him, and he benefited from the great weather (+1.6 wind, cool conditions)

Nice to see Zakari finally break 10.00. Not wanting this to sound nasty in any way, but if he makes the WCH Final this year, I hope he finishes as he could be up there.

Next stop US Championships. I wonder how the likes of Greene, Gatlin, Crawford, Scott, Capel, etc. will respond to a New 100m WR.

Btw. does anyone think Powell has 19.8 potential in the duece? I think his body (mainly torso) will stop him from ever running faster than 19.90 in regards to running the curve and being able to come off of it correctly whilst carrying that speed down the home straight. I could be wrong.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he has the potential to be stronger in the 200/400 than he's shown thus far in the 100, which is saying quite a bit.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... Great run ... Powell is the fastest starter for a big man, probably ever ... Though I think the stat of "reaction time" is highly over rated .... I know a lot of people put stock in it ... But only becasue we take the measurement ... And all it means is that some portion of your foot has moved off the block ... What REALLY matters is how quickly you get that foot (and the other one) on the ground ... And Powell does that better than anyone right now except for maybe Scott ...

He also has the best drive phase of any big man ... And if you watch that race you will see a VERY long drive phase - well over 40 meters ... Enables him to hold the speed longer to the line ..

It was an outstanding run ... But he was able to completely focus on the attempt as there was minimal competition ...

As for his 200 ability, if any of you have seen him run it he is an outstanding turn runner ... He does not have the length of stride that you would expect from his height ... HE actually runs the turn a lot like Shawn Crawford - fast feet and powerful ...He actually seems very well suited to the turn - though his coach says it injured his groin - which I don't see ... Rather I think he just doesn't like it ... HE ran 20.06 last year and had several runs in the 20.2x and under range ...

As for the quarter, doubt we'll ever see it ... He runs out of gas at the end of his 200's ... He runs 20.06 fading badly in the final 50 !!! Would take an aweful lot of work for him to prepare and run the quarter ... Though he does have the relaxation for it ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% about reaction time being less important than the first step it leads to.

If Powell dislikes the 200, chances are he hasn't trained for it, which means his lack of late race conditioning may not be indicative of any lack of ability in the longer sprints.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asafa Powell at the Norwich Union GP today, 10.02 in the heats and DNF in the final ... keeping the streak alive of cursed 100m WR setters in follow-up efforts.

How about 9.89/9.94 for Gatlin and Scott? Surely the fastest ever former college teammates.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin's 9.89 was great for him and he even seemed to looking over at the clock towards the end of the race. Scott didn't seem to fade too much last night in either his heat (10.07) or in the final (9.94) He still needs to work on his finishing 30-40m, but I can see him becoming a regular 9.8/9.9 guy when he does. Over on Ato's forum many people, including Ato himself, are already giving Gatlin the Gold in the WC 100m. I may sound a tad naïve here, but in T&F nothing is guaranteed is it? I mean, over the years we have sene many upsets, and I have a feeling that one may arise come August in that 100m final...

19.89 from Spearmon after being about 1.5m down on both Gay and Bolt. I thought Bolt was going to run away with it after his great first 100m and then Gay challenged and I thought that he may sneak the win, and then Spearmon (in Lane 7) just flew past both of them, just as he did in this year's NCAA final. I just wish he'd had run that kinda race in the US Trials. What is it with Bolt and that d*mn chain in his mouth??? He seemed to be rocking-and-rolling in the final stages of the race and I'm sure that him looking over at Spearmon didn't help either. Saying that, he is only young and has plenty of years to get it right.

Roll on August...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Gatlin as a pretty strong favorite at this point. He's a proven championship competitor who happens to be a on a good roll, unlike last year. With Powell down and Crawford and Obikwelu not showing much this year, I just don't see anyone having a chance unless Gatlin screws up.

I was happy to see Bolt making a rare showing against the big boys, but I have to say, I didn't expect Gay and Spearmon to be running big international meets this well this soon after their college season. It usually takes a year before they can successfully make the jump to the Euro circuit.

Were you at the meet?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin has to be the favorite right now ... HE's healthy !!! And running well ... Powell has ruined his season for nothing ... There was no reason to run yesterday ... That was stupid ... But then a lot of things he has done (his camp) have been stupid ... The groin is tender and hard to heal ... Should have rested it til Helsinki and then worked his way through the rounds ... Anyway, don't want to get started on that ...

Gatlin should win gold again ... But anything can happen ... I think he is scheduled to run in Stockholm and personally at this point I'd pack it in and wait for Helsinki ... No need to do anything foolish at this point ...

Bolt did his best yesterday ... And was lucky to get 2nd ... Height got it for him ... Solid races by him and Gay and Spearmon ... And look for Spearmon to toe the line in Helsinki !!!!! Wink

The thing I saw with Bolt yesterday is 1) he can't run the turn any better ... Which means running faster is gonna be tough for him ... 2) Too much extra movement ... Which will make it tough for him to win a close race if it comes to that !!!

US has an opportunity to sweep here again ... Question will be how fresh Gatlin is with rest after the 100 !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: