Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
injured ... what else is new?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: injured ... what else is new? Reply with quote

Went for a run this morning (still up in Canada), and less than a mile in, hit some unseen item on the side of the road. Felt like a curb-type dropoff, but something off in the gravel and grass. Popped the $#@! out of my ankle and I couldn't put any weight on it coming to a stop. I've had more than my share of ankle sprains (like over 100, no kidding), and I knew this one was bad... I could feel something kind of clicking down in the midfoot area, which was a bit disturbing. It happened just shy of the main intersection along that road, so there was no shortage of onlookers to offer me a ride back. Just as well, because there's no way I would've made it (I turned down the first).

In all my dozens and dozens of ankle injuries, I've never visibly swelled (swoll?) or bruised, but this one instantly popped up and felt rock hard in the area of acute pain, then got no puffier after that, which was definitely a red flag.

After icing it down for a while, I decided it needed to be checked out. Went to the local ER and was greeted by the prospect of $300 out of country fee, $150 x-ray fee, plus doctor's time. The receptionist asked me what the problem was and I told her it felt like I snapped something down at the base of the fifth metatarsal. Remember, I know injuries like no one's business... I just can't keep myself healthy.

The doctor agreed I should have it x-rayed, but was hopeful it was just a strain of the ligaments that connect there. Got the results, and sure enough, I fractured the base of the fifth metatarsal. Sad I'm now in a fiberglass cast for the next 4-5 weeks, followed by another month or so of light load-bearing activity. Next time, I'm just going to the craft store and picking up some plaster of paris and doing it myself.

We'll see what this does to my plans of driving home on Tuesday...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the waiting room beforehand, there were 4 people there sharing injury war stories. One guy had just put 3x2" nails through his knee while breaking up lumber, and has previously shattered his fibula and put an axe through his shin. When I saw how much the visit would run, I was determined to discover I could walk it off, and the guys there were all telling me there's no way I could put any [assisted] weight on it if it were broken as I feared. I didn't have any luck explaining the concept of big bones and small bones...

Man, this vacation has been quite the week for health ... started with vomiting from something I ate, half a day of quad cramping from the drive up, then introduced a bout of neck spasms, and now a broken foot. Exclamation We joked that at least I hadn't burnt the new house down yet, but I did manage to freakily light a frying pan on fire last night while preheating. I've never seen olive oil spontaneously combust into foot-high flames before. With luck like this, maybe it's best I stay off the road for a few days. Neutral

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it could get any worse!!! You need a wife to take care of you....no wait a minute. It could get worse. Shocked
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to the hospital this afternoon to sign some more release forms, and I got a bit of good news -- the cashier agreed I shouldn't be charged the out of country fee, being as I'm a citizen. Stopped for lunch on the way home while the rain steadily picked up, then on the way up the front steps my left crutch slipped out from under me and I went down in an extremely painful pile. Embarassed The pain is mostly subsided now, but I feared I may have dislodged the fracture.

At least I now know I can drive reasonably well, assuming this latest bout didn't add too much discomfort to working the clutch.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fell on your crutch? Shocked

OK, maybe it can get worse. Embarassed
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly on my crutch... One moment the crutch is holding me up, the next moment it's hydroplaning off to who knows where and I'm collapsing on an extremely sensitive foot. It just had to be the crutch on the injured side that skittered off...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Dan maybe you should just stay home in your house and not go anywhere... haha

I know how bad those ankle/foot pains can be for sure - had quite a few in my day the last one being a few years ago I think I mentioned playing basketball (see what happens when I do something othe rthan run) but yours sounds like one that I had in HS running XC up a hill and hit a rut that was partially covered with grass - I went forward my fott was jammed in the hole... sucked horribly for weeks and months...

Hope you will get better soon!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing and decided I had to get home yesterday before more stuff went horribly wrong. Gut feeling that the bottom was about to drop out... Made the ~7 hour drive overnight and got in yesterday morning, pretty much exhausted and not wanting to get in a car again any time soon. I was so tired, I slept for two hours at a rest stop along the way, which is an interesting experience with a cast in a Miata.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh that just does not even sound comfortable - Hope no one was driving by at the time could be an interesting Internet photo out there...

Kurt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually surprised how many other people were sleeping overnight at the rest stop. Had to have been 20-30 cars there when I pulled in at 2:30 am, and the bulk of them looked like they weren't going anywhere. I guess it's the suburban version of camping. Rolling Eyes

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of rest stops are you frequenting Dan... haha

Were there signs on them if the van is a rockin-don't come knockin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think you have different rest stops over on the left coast... Neutral

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Runner wrote:
What kind of rest stops are you frequenting Dan... haha

Were there signs on them if the van is a rockin-don't come knockin

Dan, I have seen worse on my attempt to escape to Boise, Idaho. There are wild things going on on some of these buses (in the very last seats). Dan -- do not use these buses, or sit in the front. Well, as to the "left coast," if I remember correctly, they startted the dirty job about Kansas.*

*NOTA BENE: Kansas is the US strip club capital. It is in the dead center of the USA; thus it gives certain women and men, with the least or a lot of wits, but with any wits, and who want a spouse not involved into a sexy job, to be as far as possible from home when they are hard pressed for money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of yesterday, the pain is gone. Today marks 3 weeks. It's odd, the pain hasn't gradually subsided, rather it's died down in very distinct steps. Lots of twitching and spasming and then the next day it goes from sharp to dull pain, then a week or so later the twitching builds back up to near unbearable levels and the next morning is gone along with all the soreness.

It's an extremely strange sensation having no muscle control... I try my darnedest to curl my toes and they just twitch in place like a fish giving up the fight for oxygen. I didn't know muscle atrophy kicks in so fast.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing with the weekly updates, today marks 4 weeks. I got a rigid walking boot today from a friend, so I decided to bite the bullet and cut off the cast. I'm a bit itchy now from Dremel'ing through the fiberglass, but I eventually freed it up and carefully pulled away the cloth liner without removing too much dead skin. Pretty nasty... My left calf is about 1/3 smaller than the right...

Looks like the bump at the spot of the break went down, so that eases my concern there may have been more there unadressed. Right now, I'm trying to get my foot accustomed to the hard 90* angle of the boot. The cast was at about 110-120*, as that was as tight as I could cock the ankle when getting it applied, due to the pain.

Got my aqua jogger earlier this week, so maybe I'll start pool running by the end of the week.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: