FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
humidity and temps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: humidity and temps Reply with quote

Is there any sure-fire way [a formula or a calculator] I can use to predict how on/off my training may be given the temperature and humidity? When is it a hindrance? when does it help?
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are some tables out there somewhere but I am not sure where you would find them. From my experience living in southeast Georgia I think it is safe to say that humidity is more of a factor than strick heat. For example, it is a nice 73 degrees here this morning but the humidity is 100% so it would be tough doing a hard workout. But 73 degrees with low humidity wouldn't be a problem.

Ward's Worthless Opinion. When the temp goes over 80 and/or the humidity is over 50 expect some adverse impact on your training.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with Micah ... I lived in Tennessee for a couple of years ... And at the time was training a lot ... I was used to training during the summer here in California in 100+ degree heat ... And could handle it well ... I had trouble with anything over 85 degrees in Tennessee because of the humidity !!!

Not sure about Micah (as he may be more used to it) but for me it was harder because it was like I was always breathing water !!! Really affected the rhythm of my breathing ... And I always felt heavier as the temperature/humidity increased ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any sure-fire way...?

Guaranteed, no. There may well be tables of average effect, but that tells you nothing about how the conditions will affect you. Some people show little adverse effect from heat, while others can barely operate in anything over 70 degrees. Furthermore, training in those conditions helps you adapt somewhat, so how would a generic table account for that?

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then. How would I best adjust to training at a more humid place?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a trick question? Confused Only way I know to prepare for a certain condition is to subject yourself to it...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry, the bottom line on training in high humidity is to be ready to slow down. One method the body uses for cooling itself is convection; that is the cooling feeling you get when your sweat evaporates. The big problem with humidity is that the air is saturated with moisture so that inhibits your sweat from drying so you lose that cooling mechanism.

During my run today the temp was 90 but the humidity was 75 so that gave us a 107 heat index. As a result my planned run of 6 miles at 10:00 pace had to be adjusted to 4.3 miles at 11:00 pace.

You can acclimate some to those conditions but I don't think you ever get to the point where they don't effect your training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: