Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
US Trials Sprints

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: US Trials Sprints Reply with quote

As you all know the US Trials start at the end of this week and wondering if anyone here could give their predictions (if you have any) for the positionings and the times on the competitors within the Men's Sprint events. My picks are actually more of a reflection of what I actually want to happen. My lists goes 5 deep (as predicting ALL 8 is kinda tricky, so I stuck with a lesser-figure) and are as follows;

100m
1. Maurice Greene 9.83
2. Justin Gatlin 9.87
3. Leonard Scott 9.91
4. Shawn Crawford 9.94
5. John Capel 9.98

200m
1. Shawn Crawford 19.83
2. Justin Gatlin 19.84
3. Wallace Spearmon 19.89
4. Xavier Carter 20.01
5. Coby Miller 20.13

400m
1. Jeremy Wariner 44.21
2. Darold Williamson 44.38
3. LaShawn Merritt 44.49
4. Kelly Willie 44.53
5. Andrew Rock 44.59
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... After MUCH thought ... And MANY versions ... Here is my final answer:

9.86 Gatlin
9.89 Capel
9.91 Greene
9.94 Crawford

19.74 Crawford
19.89 Gatlin
19.95 Spearmon
19.96 Carter

43.96 Wariner
44.04 Merritt
44.29 Rock
44.40 Williamson

There you have it ... Yes I know there is a lot of controversy there ... But hey, since when does any meet follow the formcharts tot he letter ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to put Williamson ahead of Wariner, based on their head to head record.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'm inclined to put Williamson ahead of Wariner, based on their head to head record.

Dan

Except for one thing - Williamson has never beaten him when it matters !!! With the exception of Big10 Championships, Wariner has beaten him in the big ones, NCAA, USATF, Trials, etc ...

Williamson is a big time talent ... But Wariner has better control of his race ... That's why I'm going with Wariner...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Williamson wins when the level of competition isn't high enough to push Wariner to his best efforts, so you may well be right.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin out after false starting!
What a shame we will be denied what would have been a spectacular head to head with powell in helsinki.
It is when athletes are so evenly matched that the outcome is uncertain that makes the sport very exciting and this year will be the best for as far back as I can remember.
The 100, 200, 400 with williamson and wariner, but especially the hurdles this year. What a result in the final, the first three within 3/100ths of each other and great times. With doucoure and liu as worthy overseas challengers, this will be one of the hottest races of the year.
The intermediates will be no walkover with carter, brazell ,jackson and clement all potential gold medalists but one will have to stay behind.
Going back to the predictions and with the advantage of the results of the preliminaries I predict (No times as the wind is so unpredictable)
100: Greene Crawford scott
200: crawford gatlin spearmon
400: williamson wariner rock (Williamson is more hungry. Wariner has the olympic gold , so it,s hard to motivate yourself after
such a career high and their is nothing higher than winning at the olympics, not even a world record and williamson needs to move out of his former teammates shadow)
I am not even going to try guessing the 400H. just too close to call.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin has been reinstated since his 'dq'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4621445.stm

AJ wins the 110mh in 12.99 from Dominuq Arnold (13.01) and Terrence Trammell (13.02). How old is AJ now? It doesnt seem to matter anyway as he justs keeps on going and going. Sub-13 is great from anyone, and I believe it was AJ's 10th career sub-13 in the High Hurdles. Liu better watch out for the US trio who will be tough to beat come August

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2094210

Jones pulls out of her 100m heat as does Montgomery. The end is nigh
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A controversial decision by the judge but so be it. Gatlins absence would have denied the fans the eagerly anticipated clash with powell in helsinki. (even though they will be running against each other in rome if i,m correct, but it,s not the same as the tension of a world championship final) .
Time to revise the predictions. (assuming no more false-starts)
Greene
Crawford
Gatlin ( he may hold back at the start after his near DQ)
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was way off the mark on that 400m. Wariner is still very hungry indeed!
Sub 44 should come this year but I still have my reservations about him ever breaking the WR, even with the guidance of team johnson.

Womens 400. Three under 50 seconds. That must have been a first ever by american women.

This year has really brought out a whole army of american talent to stamp their domination on world track.

I think they should break up the union into half a dozen nations for a more level playing field. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a real problem with them allowing Gatlin back in. Any lesser name and I doubt they'd have allowed the "be all end all" electronic blocks to be second guessed.

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin wins the 100m with 10.08 (-2.3) with Crawford in 2nd & Scott in 3rd (both in 10.17). The time was good considering the wind, but I can't believe that Greene DNF'ed. I've heard various stories that he was in 1st at 60m (before he pulled up) which would mean that he had a chance to win if he hadn't have pulled up, but then, on other ends of the scale, I've heard that he was in 3rd/4th and was not going to win even if he hadn't have pulled up.

If anyone saw this race could they fill me in with the full details please? Thanks in advance
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully concur that Gatlins reprieve was unfair.
I guess some sprinters are more equal than others.

Nevertheless a gatlin and powel duel is a must see as current form shows he is the only sprinter who can take him on.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X King wrote:
Gatlin wins the 100m with 10.08 (-2.3) with Crawford in 2nd & Scott in 3rd (both in 10.17). The time was good considering the wind, but I can't believe that Greene DNF'ed. I've heard various stories that he was in 1st at 60m (before he pulled up) which would mean that he had a chance to win if he hadn't have pulled up, but then, on other ends of the scale, I've heard that he was in 3rd/4th and was not going to win even if he hadn't have pulled up.

If anyone saw this race could they fill me in with the full details please? Thanks in advance

I've watched that 100 several times …

But the telecast is really poor … Not just the commentary, but the camera angles, lighting - everything … At the point where Mo pulled up the only thing that is really clear is that Scott was WAY OUT in front of everybody … 3 meters perhaps ??? Maybe 4 ??? NO joke … Mo was a hair ahead of the next group with maybe Scales in lane 1 even with Mo … Then it was everyone else except Gat and Crawford … Gat was just accelerating as Mo pulled and Crawford was even further behind !!!

About two strides before the pull Gat made that mad lift of his and had just drawn to Mo's shoulder … As Mo shifted he pulled his arm went up and back and he did hit Gat in the forehead … In the next 5 meters Gat (and Crawford coming from last) hit new gears !!! Scott had been 3 up on Greene, maybe 4 on Gat and 5 on Crawford … Looked like they had magnets in their spikes and Scott was loaded with steel !!! I mean they rolled Scott UP !!!! Gat went flying by … Crawford got him just before the line and lunged and beat him !!! No one else was in the mix …
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kishan Gill wrote:
I fully concur that Gatlins reprieve was unfair.
I guess some sprinters are more equal than others.

Nevertheless a gatlin and powel duel is a must see as current form shows he is the only sprinter who can take him on.

Hmm ... Read my race summary above ... I say that because I think Crawford (and I've felt this for some time) is also in that league ... Crawford was DEAD LAST at the start of the race yesterday and took second !!! His top end speed and turn over are scary !!! He's been taking his time getting ready this year ... But he showed yesterday that he is ready ...

If we see him do something outstanding in the 200 today, then I say it is at least a 3 man race in Helsinki ... The other factor could be Scott ... If he EVER learns to drop his shoulders in the last 30 meters he can run 9.70 !!!! He blowes away the best in the business for 70 meters .. He was out in front of Asafa and Gatlin in Eugene ... Just soem MINOR technical changes and he can win it all ...

Then there is the injury thing for Asafa ... He just barely won his own National champs ... Word being that he is again nursing his groin !!! No one can run that fast that often and NOT have physical problems !!

Helsinki is far from decided at this point ... The race is still wide open - 9.77 notwithstanding !!! Gotta do it on the day ... And so far Asafa has yet to do that ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I have not seen scott run outdoors yet and from what you describe he could pull off a surprise if he can hold form at the latter stages of his race if he is able to create such a defecit.

As for crawford, I was really impressed by his form in the olympics but he did'nt seem to be able to duplicate it in the final. gatlin on the other hand seems to be a championship runner which as you mentioned is an area in which powell still has to prove himself although he has shown that pure raw sprinting power .

You may be aware of fast times in trinidad with burns and brown finishing in 9.97 and 9.99 respectively providing a potential carribean challenge to the minor medals. Brown seems to be back on form. Frater is another possible finalist with zakari spearheading the african challenge.
As for europe, pognon is the only top runner who may pose a challenge to the lesser positions while the brits will be lucky to make the final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: