The Nike Free/barefoot training

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that helps clear it up a little.

How long have you been running and do you race? I've been at it 28 years now and was kind of fast 20 years and 40 pounds ago. Now I fight injuries and pizza cravings.
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started running about 10 months ago with the idea that I needed a new challenge. I had been riding for a while and had done many centuries, MS150's and the like, but wanted to do something different. So I signed up for a half-marathon and started running. My first love is still riding, but I just get a better "fix" from running. I ran the half in 1:40:38 and have done another since to help a buddy get throuugh the distance, but really I just run for the social aspect. Right now I am training for a marathon (next challenge on the list, right?) but really look forward to making this a life-time pursuit. There really isn't anything I have found like an early morning run to make you appreciate life and the worl around you.

Ok, I know it's a little corny Rolling Eyes

I also run because I love food and beer.

StickBoy
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't nothing corny about it. If we didn't love it we wouldn't do it.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so they're light, more flexible, less cushioned and no support. Sounds like a racing flat with good marketing.

So Nike is saying that the shoes can help "fix" overpronation, or did I misunderstand? If that is what they're saying, it's pretty significant. And if so, how is it more effective than a relatively barebones racing flat?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StickBoy, welcome and thanks for the thorough review!

Quote:
Sounds like a racing flat with good marketing.

That's sort of my impression, too, although with more of a training slant than most racing flats have. Normally, flats are little more than a lightweight, snug fitting shoe that produces too much pounding and/or wears too fast to be of daily use. They don't do a whole lot to reduce support "crutches" on your feet and lower legs, so you're never really strengthening the tendons and small muscle groups, as you would when running barefoot. The Free is angled at addressing that, but how successfully is open to debate.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what physical attributes of the Free are different from racing flats? I'm trying to determine whether this supposed stregthening of certain muscles is a result of the shoes, or just the training plan alone. For example, would you get similar results by doing some of your easy running in racing flats? What exactly about the Free makes it targetted at that, rather than racing or doing fast workouts?
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be a little more clear: Nike does NOT advertise or imply that the Free will fix pronation or supination. My shoe guy thinks that my pronation is minor enough that strengthening the muscles/connective tissue in my feet MAY allow me to overcome it.

I am also not trying to be a proponant or sell anyone on the Free (Snake oil anyone?). Fry the Sailor asked some logical questions and I tried to answer them. These shoes are DEFINITELY not for everyone. Even this morning, my shoe guy saw me running in the Free annd told me to "take it easy in those", implying that he doesn't think I have had them long enough to be doing any sort of distance. I would talk to your LRS and see what they think, and check out Nike's site for more info about the design. Most of it is Marketing fluff, but there is a little info buried deeply.

I think the reason that these are different than a racing flat is the design of the outsole that is grooved dramatically and allows the foot to flex as much as a bare foot would, while still protecting from debris. They would probably make a great racing flat once your feet are used to them, and just like most racing flats you won't get 500 miles out of a pair. The Nike "training" schedule is also more of an adaptation timeline to get your feet used to the Free, not a program designed for a specific development goal (like a 10K PR, or a 3:30 marathon). I think the strengthening of the feet is probably more a function of being able to run further and longer than you would barefoot. Other than those who get to run on a really long beach, there are few opportunities to run "barefoot" and still have a little protection from the elements.

I apologize if I have caused any confusion, and please feel free to whip me with al dente pasta if I offend, but so far I am really impressed with the open, positive dialogue on this board. Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

StickBoy
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: thanks Stick, that clears things up a bit. Also, I am my local running store, which is part of the reason I'm trying to learn about it. We don't carry the Free, and it's probably not available in Canada (we're not even allowed to carry the milers), I'm just curious though and there undoubtably will be someone in the store asking about it.

It sounds like your foot may actually be the most suited to this shoe. Since pronation is the body's natural source of shock absorbtion, somebody with a completely rigid, neutral foot would be pounding like crazy in a shoe like this, but a "natural pronator" will get the best of both worlds.
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sort of what I am thinking too. A super rigid arch wouldn't pronate much, but wouldn't get any cushioning or support from this type of shoe. I think that there is a very narrow market for this type of shoe from a practical application, but those that can use it will love it. This is NOT the shoe for everyone.

I am surprised your reps haven't been trying to push the Free into your shop. With all of the commercials (TV, print, 'net) I have seen in the last three weeks, I would have guessed they would coordinate with the field. I know that Nike hasn't made the Free available on NikeID yet, so maybe they are only available in select markets right now. The owner of our LRS helped design the Free (so I hear) and maybe that got him "special consideration" for the release.

On behalf of the local runners in your area, thanks for taking the time to educate yourself. The LRS is much loved and respected, even if we don't say it enough!

StickBoy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down at Nike Town in Eugene last week, and the Free was literally everywhere. They even had an astroturf treadmill at the Pre meet for demonstrating the Free, although I didn't notice it (and the really cute girls working the booth) until it was being packed up at the end of the meet. Too good of a show on the track to leave the stands!

Dan
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to beat a new American record in the two miler...even for cute girls and new toys Wink
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone, thank you so much for answering my questions and beyond thus far. But one general question, has the Free been marketed to any other types of athletes?
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the website, they have a baseball player, a marathoner, a football player, a tennis player, and a soccer player as spokespersons...so I guess they are SORT of marketing to other groups...but the real press seems to be for runners at this point.
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't know that for memory Wink Here's a link to the athlete spokesmodels:

http://www.nike.com/nikefree/usa/index.jhtml?ref=nike_running_usa#athletes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: