Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
NCAA's

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: NCAA's Reply with quote

NCAA Update …

Yesterday was cool and breezy … We had morning rain (light) but none during the afternoon/evening … Still the conditions were not the best for speed events … What it did was let the cream rise to the top as it was pretty easy to see who the class athletes were …

I'm sticking with my pick of Florida to win the men's 4x1 … They ran a clean race, handled the stick well, and have Clement on the anchor … And with only 1 star 100 man left in the relay (Gay for Arkansas), a clean final leaves no one to run him down … Having said that, if Southern Cal runs another good race like the one they ran against Florida, the win or medal … Marvin Anderson is back and healthy and this is his big race since he's not in the sprints …

The 100 is Dix's to lose … Yeah, Blanton was close in the semi but Dix relaxed towards the end after a mid race burst … Blanton on the other hand looked full out the whole race …. We're supposed to have mid 80's and clear on Friday when this final is set and I wouldn't be surprised if Dix PR's … Medals will go to whoever can get in the 10.2x's … And right now based on looks, I'm gonna say Dixon and Farmer are gonna get em and maybe not in that order …

Lotta cruisin goin on in the quarter … And all the folk who were supposed to make it made it … With the weather warming up, looks like we could have a race like the last one here in '03 when Potter, Steele, and Harris all ran 44.5's ….

The hurdles have not been a big event so far this year, but some of these cats look good … 13.6x's but into decent breezes … And the top guys looked controlled … The final should go 13.3x and with a decent tailwind could dip to 13.28/13.29 … Walker looks like someone who WANTS to defend his title, but hard to overlook Mitchum … Nothing fancy about this dude except he just wins … I mean, even though it was a semi, you could see that Mitchum really wanted it while Hicks was in it to place for the final …

No rain so far today … But still cool … But should be a bit warmer as it is 63 degrees with now and yesterday it was only around 59 at this time … But we did get some rain over night … Temp is supposed to get into the mid 70's which would be nice since the deuce starts today !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that weather expected, could we see Dix go 9.99 in the final?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is possible ... Dix reminds me of Harvey Glance and Mel Lattany ... Pretty strong technically with mad turnover and decent lift ... I don't see anyone out there out running him ... 9.99 is a possibilty ... Especially if he gets early separation from the rest of the field ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of talent in american colleges is just astounding. I mean how many universities around the world can claim to have two sub-20 sprinters at the same time.
williamson runs the 400 in 44.27 in a semi and a fellow baylor colleague only happened to win the olympics.
The american college system is a production line of talent which means some of these superb athletes will never make it on the world stage such is the depth of talent .
Here in britain , due to a much smaller pool and therefore less talent available we pin our hopes on the likes of MLF and gardener who if they were american would have done well to qualify in the ncaa final let alone the us champs, but they are all we have and therfore they are feted and high expectations are put on their shoulders.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that, you can understand why the US takes it personally when other countries win out in the sprints.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is why Britain won't send it's athletes here to train and work in this system !!! British athletes train in solitude for the most part ... Complain about lack of funding and lack of resources ... When a guy like MLF would easily garner a scholarship to any of a number of great sprint schools ... Get outstanding training and experience ... And then be able to represent his country at the expense of the "Yanks" ...

Many of the top Africans (sprinters and distance runners) have taken advantage for decades now as have many top Caribbean Sprinters ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, their has been a long line of top african and particularly carribean athletes who have come through the american college system and continue to do so.

I do not know how recruitment works , but isn,t their a certain academic standard a person has to meet and entrance tests to get enrolled whatever the athletic ability, after all, universities are first and foremost for learning.

I remember the scandal in the eighties of top athletes ( and I mean in the broader american term of all sportsmen, basketball players etc) joining university but being unable to read and write and the universities covering up because of the funds available if they did well in collegiate competition. Has their been a shakeup since then so that athletic ability alone is not enough?

I am not implying that MLF hasn,t got the brains to go to university.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it was only a few years ago that MLF was the poster child for how the British system was so good at nurturing young talent, reaching great heights with sparse numbers to draw from.

Entrance standards may have been tightened up a bit, but you can still cruise through the public universities pretty easily if you're a good athlete...

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The british sports media are know hailing a new find in 18 year old craig pickering who has run 10.22 this year and has beaten an out of form darren campbell. Pickering is tipped to win the european junior champion
ships.
The interesting thing is that pickering is white and is looked at as the next great white hope since allan wells, probably the last real great white sprinter over 100m.
Pickering himself hopes to be the first white sprinter to break the 10.00 sec barrier. A source of embarrasment for caucasian sprinters.
Marian woronin of poland came the closest in 1983 with 10.00 flat (9.9992) but no one has been able to get close since.
Maybe pickering can realise his ambition if he crosses the atlantic where he will be exposed to a very tough and competitive track and field scene.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: USATF is gonna be a barnburner Reply with quote

So much talented emerged and improved at NCAA's that the veteran's and some Olympic Champions will have their hands fill just to make the U.S. team for 2005 Worlds.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly should be tough - I am looking forward to the competition...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be many athletes left at home that could star for other nations ... Makes me wonder if and when there will ever be a true world championships that focuses on performance rather than nationality ...
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well isn't that supposed to be the IAAF Finals is supposed to b etaking the rankings and getting tgose athletes to run against each other
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very limited meet in scope ... I mean take the World Championships and take away the entry limits ... Open entries up to the top 64 per event ... If Kenya has 20 entries in the steeple - so be it ... If Russian has 10 discus throwers - fine ... If the US has 15 in the 200 - so be it ....

The Olympics were created to allow for "goodwill" ... And allowing everyone to have representation ... Worlds should be about the COMPETITION !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until Qatar starts purchasing US collegiate athletes???

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: