Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Update

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow is the Portland Marathon! Too bad I won't be in it. My body just didn't like the idea of running more than 10 miles, and it's way of showing me this was by finding a new body part to injure. On the bright side, I learned how atrocious our health care system is. Right now I'm trying to run about five miles a day in preparation for a November 6th 5k. Who know, I may be able to break the 20 minute barrier.

Dan, I noticed the Willamette Invitational was today. But to my surprise, I couldn't find any participants from Willamette. What gives?

P.S. I don't plan to abandon the forums this time. Still don't know what I decided to not really post anymore. Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't find any participants from Willamette. What gives?

You probably only looked at the first race (DI, JC, Open). Willamette was in the 2nd race (DII, DIII, NAIA), which is listed 2nd in the results.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I should have looked at this before I posted on Open Mic. I think the big problem is you went about training like you were an 80 mile a week runner, and your body just wasn't ready for that. Is the race you want to enter the AC Gilbert's Discovery Village 5K ?? I am preparing for the Run Like Hell 5K the week before in hopes of breaking 20 min myself.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my ignorance cost me.

The 5k is infact the A.C. Gilbert House 5k. The race itself is only about a mile away from my house, so that makes the warm-up and cooldown pretty easy. Where's the Run Like Hell 5k?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run Like Hell is in downtown Portland. This was a breakthrough race for me last year, 20:12. It is a straight out and back course, with a downhill section at the beginning and the same uphill section at the end. By the way, I ran in the Run Hit Wonder on Aug 1. 10,000 runners in 10K and 5K. Retro bands all along the route. Ended up 81st out of 3353 runners in the 5K portion in 20:18. Very cool race, but not good for PR's, you run with the pack for at least a half mile before things break up.

Paul

Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people typically run Run Like Hell? If Portland weren't an hour away I would think of going up for it. There aren't too many 5ks in Salem this fall which is a little annoying.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was pretty small. It runs in conjunction with a half marathon. This year he's boasting of a couple of thousand. Plus its on Halloween day. People will dress up!!

Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a bit of research shows this race didn't exactly make a hit with the running community. A lot of people boycott Terrapin events.
Here's the website:

http://www.t-events.com/runlikehell_2.htm

Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
A lot of people boycott Terrapin events.

Any particular reason?
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been away for a bit, but that was due to scholastic and crappy computer reasons. With so much school work I was only able to get in 2-3 miles a day or so. Lately, however, I've been running more and am in the best shape of my life. Two weeks ago I ran 2.6 miles in 15:45, a minute faster than I've ever done before. And just yesterday I ran 5.1 miles in 32:16. This equates to about 3:57 per kilometer, which is pretty damn fast for me considering my 5k PR is 20:19. If only there was a 5k race soon, I feel confident I could run in the 18:40s or so. There is a 10k I'll probably do in January. If I keep a good rate of running, there's a chance I could run 40 or so (the official goal is 40:37, so I can say I ran a back to back 5k PR).

Track is only three months away, and I'll probably spend most of my time getting ready for the 3k. Don't have any speed, so the longer the better. Our best XC athletes run the 8 and 15 pretty exclusively, so I may have a shot at winning my first race ever (if we're going against a school that doesn't have any good runners in the 3k). As of now, my track goals are 4:40 (or whatever equates to a 5:00 mile) and 10:20 (3k). I'm a much better track runner than XC/road runner, so if I stay healthy I should be able to hit these goals.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular significance to the 2.6 and 5.1 milers, or is that just a route you do frequently?

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Any particular significance to the 2.6 and 5.1 milers, or is that just a route you do frequently?

Dan

No, not really. That's just the place where the yellow sign on River Road is (the 2.6 was out and the 5.1 was out and back).

I forgot to mention that in running about 32 for 8k, I broke my 5-mile PR by about 2:45. And that was the just six weeks after my 1500m best (4:58.8h). That's why I'm pretty confident I should be able to run around 4:40.
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my 10k yesterday and ran a near six minute PR of 40:48. I finished 5th out of 95 runners and was 2nd in my age group. Although it was, time wise, by far me best race ever (went through 5k 14 seconds ahead of 5k PR), I am kind of disappointed. I was unable to run the three days prior to the race because of a sore IT band that I didn't want to destroy. It felt good on race day, but those three days off hurt me. I went out in 6:10, which was about 30 seconds faster than I wanted to go out in. I know I am in about 39:30 shape based on a workout I had a few weeks ago. The first mile was in 6:45 and each successive mile was about ten seconds faster than the previous one, with the final mile in 5:50. I ended up covering the 8.1k course in 31:40.

So it's been a pretty good start to the new year for me. I still want to break the elusive 5:00 barrier and would like to go sub 10 and sub 18 as well. All I have to do is stay healthy...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Thumbs Up Cascade?

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Nice job. Thumbs Up Cascade?

Dan

Yep. Quite the exciting course. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: