Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
40 Yard Dash Times

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan. Ben's ability to get into running position has been unparalleled in the last two decades. I would love to see a video analysis of everyone's best races on one screen, especially up to the 90m mark.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I have a hard time believing any analysis that doesn't have Ben at the top of the heap for first 40m/y... Been quite a while since I watched the race, but when you've got the fastest overall time ever run and the fastest start and one of the slowest finishes making it up, it doesn't add up that the intermediate times wouldn't be the fastest.

Dan

I don't have Ben's splits in front of me, but if I remember correctly, at that stage of Ben's career he was NOT a slow finisher ... Quite the contrary ... His finish was the equal of Lewis' - which is why Lewis could not gain on him in '87 & '88 ... That, combined with his extraordinary start is what put him head and shoulders above everyone else ...

Remember ... That when Ben ran 9.83, the record was 9.93 !!! and Carl's best at that time was 9.97 - Ben pulled him to 9.93 in that race ... And when Ben ran his 9.79, Carl PR'd at 9.92 - well behind Ben ... Ben was obviously the best starter in the world - perhaps the best ever ... But he had also developed the rest of his race ...

Also note that Mo (while credited with being a strong finisher) was also an exceptional starter ... No way one can go under 9.80 without having BOTH aspects of the race be strong ... You can't get out anywhere near fast enough to simply "hold on" and run under 9.80 ... Nor can you give away a huge deficit at the beginning and "make it up" at the end to go sub 9.80 ...

One has ot look no further than Tim Montgomery's WR run to see that both ends of the equation have to be satisfied ... Tim benefited greatly from a "perfect" reaction time and start, to go with ihs own closing speed AND perfect wind d...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Ben gave up 0.03 or more by not running through the line, which means he was a couple clicks faster than Mo in the early segments of the race.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but Mo gave up that and maybe more at the end of his 9.82 in Edmonton ... So they are back on the same plane - and actually Mo may have been a tad faster early in the race ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong race, but I don't rememember Mo giving up anywhere near that much... And it was a slightly slower race, to boot.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmonton was the 2001 World Champsp when Mo pulled up near the end of the race and still held off Montgomery ... Generally thought to be the fastest 100 ever - minus the pull ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the race, just not the part about Mo slowing up significantly. Was that where he strained his quad?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ... And if were "significant" he would have lost the race ... Remember that at that speed one or two bad steps alone can alter your time significantly .... That's one of the reasons Mo has been able to go sub 10 over 50 times - theconsistency of his technique ... And why many others have only broken 10 one or two times ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying he was able to maintain form pretty well and not slow down all that much? If so, that's the way I remember the race... Ben's Seoul run is estimated as a 9.72-9.75 if he had run through the line. Who really thinks Mo's Edmonton race would've been faster???

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: