Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
USA 4X1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brutal
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal obviously is to win the race....no duh!
The key as always is get the stick around. So with that said......
leadoff-Tim Montgomery..no way you can do anything but run Tim here. He has shown the speed and is experienced having ran in Atlanta No way you neglect a 9.84!

second leg-Bernard Williams..Williams has more experience here than anyone else. He has also ran a PR9.96 this season.....so!

third leg-Dennis Mitchell..Here we are going to give up a little speed for experience. Nobody ever has more experience than Mitchell in this spot. The third leg is the pivotol leg on 4x1 and it takes a special athlete to handle both handoff's and that funky curve.

anchor-Mo Greene-I think that about says it!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not swap Montgomery and Williams? I don't recall ever seeing Tim run a 200, so I'm not sure how strong of a turn runner he is. Williams we know can hold his own on the turn, and (for the most part), 100m is 100m, so put them where they're most experienced technically.

Mitchell certainly has experience (just as Drummond does for 1st leg), but I think that's a bit overrated. After all, a fair amount of that experience of late has been failure... He doesn't appear to be one of the top 4 guys right now, at any rate. What about Curtis Johnson? He keeps proving he belongs.

Mo is the obvious anchor, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on first leg. The anchor runs the shortest distance and is a natural place for the person with the worst start, but very few star sprinters would take that gracefully. Greene is pretty much the best starter and can run the turn as well as anyone, plus he has the endurance for the slightly longer leg (roughly 110, 100, 100, 90 if the handoffs are extended into the zone, I believe).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
brutal
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya! I agree about Greene I would have him leadoff but we both know it ain't going to happen.
Monty is a great curve runner having ran there both at Blinn JC and Norfolk St.He also ran that leg in Atlnta in 96 (rounds).
Williams has that second leg down much like Burrell did.
Now here's where it does get "creative!" I expect the USA to have the lead by the second handoff now it's just play it save and bring it home. Why not Mitchell? He won't screw it up and is fast enought. Johnson is cool but not experienced in this sort of inviornment.
Not a real big deal no matter how ya do it just something to kck around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: