Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
100m and 200m Times

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I haven't see Bolt race yet either, so thats going to be quite interesting.

I agree with Conway, about the 4x100m, except I don't think they'll go sub-37. If they do that would be amazing. But I do think that they will run under 37.40s, breaking the world record. The 4x100m needs a Wr, its been 12 years.

Jason
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: k gill Reply with quote

Can someone remind me of the fourth member of the quartet and if they know the order of the changeovers.
USGOLD2004
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the 4x100m US team. Its:

1st Leg - Shawn Crawford
2nd Leg - Justin Gatlin
3rd Leg - Coby Miller
4th Leg - Maurice Greene

This team is gonna break the WR.
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orders are sensible even though they can all run a good bend. Teamates crawford to gatlin, miller on the bend with mo at his usual anchor leg and as conway said , with three 9.8 guys a world record is on the cards. Sub 37 looks improbable but not out of the question if they can get smooth handovers.

The jamaicans look good for silver with the brits having an outside chance of bronze with a weakened and out of form group. ( Gardener and MLF, both 5th in the semis, so their is some residual speed left so to speak)
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4x1 could end up being very scarry !!!! They could well run away and hide ... Just hope they hang on to the stick !!! I expect 37.2ish ... But I do believe in a "perfect" race that 37.00 could go ... THAT would be a legacy ... And if I were Greene that's what I'd be talking to the fellas about ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Mo is in high 9.8x, low 9.9x form and his finish is better than it was at the start of the season, so he is the only one for anchor on the team.

Having Big Bad on the 1st leg shoudl be a good decision, as every 200 I have seen him do this year, he has burned the curve, so on the curve he should give the US a clear lead.

Gatlin really is awesome on the backstretch and would give the US an even greater lead.

Crawford has the ability to just explode round the curve, and should do on the 3rd leg. I then see the US having a 4-5m lead over every other team, and the stick should then be handed over to MO, who is in great shape at the moment. I mean he almost caught Gatlin in the 100 final, and was gaining on everyone in the final 15-20m, so I would have him as a definte anchor.

Possible relay splits:
1. Big Bad (10.2-10.3x)
2. Gatlin (8.8-9.0x)
3. Crawford (9.1-9.3x)
4. MO (8.7-8.9x)
Possible time: 36.8-37.5

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the US smashes the WR with an 37.25 clocking...and with good changes a possible 37.1...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USGOLD2004 wrote:
Yea, I haven't see Bolt race yet either...

Well you aint gonna be seeing much more of him this year, because he didn't even qualify for the second round (quarter-final) after a poor showing in his heat. On BBC MJ was commentating, and said that Bolt seemed to have trouble managing the curve. MJ said that he was unbalanced, and mentioned that when Bolt ran his 19.93 that his curve was run finely...From the coverage of the race it was clear to see that Bolt was having trouble...but I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of him, he is only 18yo remember, so if he manages himself well in the next few years, he has a possible 3 more OG left in him...

Powell is fastly becoming the most arrogant sprinter on the planet. He was ina bout 3rd or 4th place coming out of the curve, and then shifted into 1st place at around 130-140m, and then at around 150m he started to look left at his opponents. He then eased up, whilst still looking to his left, then when he realised that he was slipping back, he shifted again, and then eased up yet again still looking to his left and finished in 3rd place, only just qualifying for the second round by 0.02 (Powell in 3rd spot with 20.77, from some other guy who ran 20.79 and almost nipped him)

I thought Powell would learn from his 100 exploits, but he obviously has not...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawford, in his quarter-final ran 19.95, coming to an almost complete stop in the final 5 metres of the race...he blasted the curve and just kept going away...and then severly eased down in the final stages...very impressive...

I am taking split times for the sprint races, and I'll tell everyone now that from a quick glance at Crawford's first 100m, he ran it in the region of high-10.0x, to low/mid 10.1x...his first 100 was awesome, and if he does that in the final he will be very hard to beat...

Gatlin also won his qf. in 20.03...it was a controlled race, and he easily dealt with Asafa Powell, who finished in second place with 20.23...Powell ran his own this time round, and was not foolin' around..probably because he could not afford to when Gatlin was so far ahead coming out of the curve...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking at this point that Gatlin can win the double ... His races in the deuce have been very controlled ... And he is the fastest of the tall, long striders ...

Crawford is Crawford - he's looking every bit the strong, powerful, sprinter ... But he lacks control, and looks to be in the same mode he was in in Sacramento, which means he's going to run himself down again ...

Powell is too inexperienced at this race, and seems set on trying to be cool, or intimidate, okr something other than focus ...

Obikwelu looks controlled as well ... Not sure what to think of him yet ... So used to him crumbling ...

Bernard Williams also seems to be in control of his races .... Only problem could be his short stride pattern when the race reaches the end against the taller guys ...

I'm goin with Gat, Obikwelu, Bernard and Crawford in that order ... With the winning time in the 19.7 range (+/- .03) ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawford and Gatlin, 1-2 for me.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m going to put my faith in crawford again. Hopefully he will have learnt something from his 100 and naturally wll be hungry for that gold. Possible sub 19.7 performance if the conditions are ok.

Gatlin 2 and obikwelu 3.

Womens 200 lacks depth this year. The jamaican Campbell looks an easy winner with a possible sub 22 run. The rest will be fighting it out for the minor medals.

About the womens 100h, I heard last night that the officials were considering a re-run. As unlucky as the russian hurdler was, Hayes won the title fair and square and deserves the gold. She ran a great time and felicien would have been hard pressed to beat her, although we shall never know.
Anyway, a re-run would be a travesty.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the women's 200 I think Felix is going to win ... She appears to be runningi much easier and relaxed through the rounds than Campbell is ... I think VC has run her best race already in the rounds while Felix has yet to do so ... I guess we'll find out later today ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kishan, I agree about the hurdles. That's just one of the hazards about that event. And how would you take a gold away from Hayes? She set a PB in the semis, and an OR in the finals, bringing her PB down .13 for the games. I wouldn't even show for a rerun! And looking at the footage, I would think think the 2 girls who went down, are pretty beat up today.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 USA CRAWFORD Shawn 19.79
2 USA WILLIAMS Bernard 20.01
3 USA GATLIN Justin 20.03
4 NAM FREDERICKS Frank 20.14
5 POR OBIKWELU Francis 20.14
6 MRI BUCKLAND Stephane 20.24
7 GER UNGER Tobias 20.64
JAM POWELL Asafa DNS

What a race! Considering all the noise at the start, I thought there was going to be a major upset, but the race went true to form. Apart, prehaps from Williams grabbing the Silver from Gatlin, who just gave up in the final few metres and just lost out...a great race though no matter what...
Frankie went out with a bang, and to run 20.14 at the age of 37yo is a great achievement...I think it's a World Age-Best for a 37yo, which is great...prehaps Frankie should go in the Masters events...he would clean up the comp.

I thought Obik was gonna upset the chances of a USA clean sweep but in the end, he kinda of never got going in the race...and looked somewhat flat as he came out of the curve...

On to the relays...prehaps the USA Men can make some of the same fireworks that the USA Women did in their heat...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 200 was an outstanding race .... Although I thought Gatlin would run faster ... But 20.03 is not slow ... LOL ... I'm looking forward to the 4x1 ... I'd love to see the WR broken ... Will see if they can do it ... Only 2 rounds to get it in ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: