FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Craig Mottram

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YUKON QUEST
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Craig Mottram Reply with quote

What a race in super gran prix in London!
in 5000m Craig Mottram finished second breaking his PB. First Gebre.

Last edited by YUKON QUEST on Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd fastest non-African, I believe.

Dan
YUKON QUEST
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right Dan
Bauman, Kennedy and then Mottram
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Actually Second Fastest Reply with quote

Mottram is actually second fastest

Baumann ran 12:54.70 in Zurich in 1997
Kennedy ran 12:58.21 also in Zurich in 1996.

Mottram settles in between these two with his 12:55.76... with this improvement he certainly has a shot at passing Baumann. Totally on fire this year PR's in 3000M 5000M 5K road and 10K road
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about that. Kennedy doesn't have a faster time, but I had seen it reported that Mottram is #3 on that somewhat insulting list, so there must be someone else... The normal stat is for fastest white guys, but this one was reported as for fastest non-Africans, so maybe that's where we're overlooking someone?

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: true Reply with quote

I will have to think about it since those are the ones that come to mind. I know that Kennedy's time is right since its the AR... Baumanns also is documented well and his subsequent toothpaste incident... Not sure who else but its certainly possible we have missed one, the hard thing is when you get Africans competing for European Countries. Anyway you are right in that this is a slightly degrading list... You have that grey area where people of dual nationality have maybe always competed for countries not of their birth... maybe thats where we are missing one.. The only other "white guy" I can think of off the top of my head that was close is Moorcroft who ran 13 flat. I will do a little research though and see what I can turn up
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: OK here goes Reply with quote

Here is a list of the top times (yeah all 951 of them) in the 5k as of 8/6

http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/athletics/m_5000ok.htm

The only other non-african i can see is Mohammed Mourhit who ran for Belgium but was born in Morocco... and then was banned in 2002 for EPO

So other than that it look slike the list above is definitive for now
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgium is probably the answer, as sketchy a stat as that makes it.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Correct Reply with quote

Hmm when do I lose my lurker status? Rolling Eyes

At least had to try
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: haha I had to ask... Reply with quote

Hooray I am now a Water Boy Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, movin' on up the ranks! Smile You should've seen the first rendition of the post rankings...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some training info on Mottram:

Quote:

Craig Mottram an Australian runner recently ran a 12:55 over 5000m and in the process made a very strong challenge to Geb throughout the race. This has amazed many Australians as for the last decade distance athletes & coaches in Australia have been criticized as not working hard enough or training the right way etc.

The funny thing is that the way Craig trained under his Australian coach Nic Bideau is nothing earth shatteringly different in fact his training seems to be more of an echo of "tried & true" with a smattering of new science. Ironically it is also the direct opposite of our ex-National Coach Said Aouita's theories.

Craig's program is Lydiard like with high volumes of near 200km a week for much of the year. But it is not periodized in the extreme fashion of a Lydiard program. It has lots of volume at controlled intensities 70% of Vo2max for easy runs determined by Treadmill testing, long threshold runs, 10km or so of reps in a track session at 5-10km race speeds & long runs of about 2hrs. Ofcourse in comp season it has faster smaller efforts. The main thing is high manageable volumes, targetted races and a good amount at Anaerobic Threshold. Craig has built the base over a few years to make the breakthrough to a performance level usually only the level of the African greats.

The Aouita program had almost no base of steady running and focused on intensity of long range speed endurance reps to build improvements in the athletes. His argument was against short fast reps and also against volume of steady running - this meant athletes were focused on high intensity training in a narrow window of adaptation and trying to maintain that adaptations improvement for a long period of time.

This is where these systems of training are very different. I believe Mottrams training is a system of a high manageable volume of training that causes slow adaptations to mitochondria, capillarisation and the mechanisms supporting Anaerobic Threshold. But it stays away from the more intense stress needed to maximally develop the lactic anaerobic system for long periods of time. This means the athlete is fresh and able to have their body adapt readily at the right time without going stale at an unpredictable time. This was the major weakness of the Aouita program ie. rapid initial improvement and then followed at some point by unpredictable staleness with poor season peak control. Also I believe the runs of 50min & over are needed for optimal development of capillarisation.

I dont believe any athlete will last very long on a year round high intensity program. There are countless MD athletes who have ended their careers early due to repeated bouts of illness evidence of immune systems that have packed up shop due to frequent high levels of stress. The stress of year round lactic anaerobic training seems to be much more problematic than high volumes of aerobic work. At 41 years old Steve Monneghetti just placed in Sydney's City to Surf road race running not much over 41min for 14km. This is after years of running well over 200km a week.

Sure athletes need to have the ability biomechanically to cope with volume but if they can then the gentler higher volume way is probably the best way to go for higher performance and a longer career.

My squad this year is building a base more of the Mottram way and will leave the training for their anaerobic system for the pre-comp phase. The program is looking very Lydiard like so will be followed by a period of hills and transition to more speed work and then some serious hard track sessions over 9 weeks to get them ready for the main track season. How can a program that has not only been proven to develop countless champions and as well as that athletes who in many cases that have lasted for a decade be left behind.

regards

Steve Bennett
OZTRACK Athletics Training Information
www.oztrack.com

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: