Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
american drugs scandals

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: american drugs scandals Reply with quote

just rcvd e-mail from bbc stating bernard williams has failed drug test but will be allowed to run in athens.

Phew!!! and we thought the east germans were bad. American track and field has got a long way to go before their athletes performances will be accepted without raising an eyebrow. A lot of damage has been done to the reputation american track anf field.

USATF are paying the price of their earlier coverups (I am referring to certain individuals than the whole organisation), and have had their hand forced to clean up their act and to their credit they are actually doing something about it.

I hve always felt as have many others that flo-jo was not for real, running unbelievable times practically overnight. The problem was america was in denial. Flo-jo was the darling of the games and of america and could not do wrong. Unfortunatley she paid a heavy price for it. I would like to echo gwen torrences despair in chasing times that she knew even with her ability could not reach thus denying her and many of her rivals the credit they were due.

Flo-jos performances i think were a catalyst (due to the high profile she rcvd) in pushing american athletes down the road of drug enhanced (and thus get rich/famous quick) performances. This is not a diatribe against america as it can easily be inferred under the current climate. Most of my favourite athletes are american. Just stating my personal opinion which may not be true or accurate, but i do echo the sentiments of many others.

Also, did u hear that the us olympic association will be providing a 45 min video on how athletes are to conduct themselves during the ceremonies, victory celebrations. Apparently the 4x 100m relay teams antics in sydney (Greene, Drummond,Lewis and Williams) were seen as immodest and arrogant and portrayed america in a negative light.

They hve been asked not to strip off and do a mr universe impersonation, drape the flag as a cape, in general to be more civil and show sportsmanship.

I tend to agree. Being modest is good in all walks of life, not just sports.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the story regarding Bernard Williams in the 'Rambling Runners' forum.

I can see many being pulled up due to drugs scandals in the Olympics...

1988 was regarded as the 'Year Of The Steroid', this year is gonna go down in history for many reasons, any names?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of those post-race actions would get you disqualified in a HS or College meet...

In Bernard's case, at least it was a non-PE drug...

I had a reliable source tell me all sorts of stuff that went on behind closed doors at USATF. It's not much of a generalization to say everyone's dirty and everyone knows it...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that has been the case for years though ... I think that the US has many problems this year ...

We started a war that few agree with world wide ...

We have a ton of drug stuff going on here ...

We've been "on top" for so long that everyone is glad to see us having problems ... And with all the public stuff these days, it lends itself to a "see this is how they've been doing it" attitude ... I can't blame the rest of the world becaue for too long we've sort of shoved it in their faces ...

But having said all that, I don't see how everything we do can be doubted ... EVeryone in the US isn't dirty ... And it isn't a national conspiracy to cheat and cover things up ... So not quite fair to paint everyone with the same broad brush ...
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without getting too deeply involved with political matters as it is a sports forum, i like to re-emphasise that the current stick americans are getting around the world has been thanx to a handful of neo-conservatives in the white house, who are not broadly representative of the american people and americaness in general, wether they support the war in iraq or not.

With the threat of communism no longer present, politicans need a new agenda to distract the people from more pressing domestic issues. Politicians the world over do this, i don,t need to remind u that it,s a dirty game.

Unfortunately Bush and his cronies hve done damage to america abroad. Any sensible person will be able to distinguish between government policy and public opinions, they don,t always go hand in hand.

To get to the point, like em or hate them, most people the world over including myself here in england grew on a steady diet of american pop-culture and food , and they still are. If it,s so bad , why have we taken it too heart.
YUKON QUEST
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only American drug scandal... Kederis and Thanou in trouble. They have missed a drug test.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now that it is non Americans that have clearly avoided being tested, where is the hue and cry to ban them as well ???
YUKON QUEST
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seem that they have had a motorcycle accident and they are in hospital... so they can't go to CIO.
It's a little strange, isn't it?
I think they should be banned.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a related thread in the Rambling Runners forum.

Dan
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a hue and cry. As dan pointed out, the motorbike accident and minor injuries does sound suspicious.

The european press hve highlighted a trend by kenderis, thanou and many others from the greek team to avoid drug tests, citing examples such as leaving a hotel where they were staying where the drug tests were to be held at short notice, and giving incorrect addresses of their training camps, not by city but by country!.

Of course the main reason for raising an eyebrow over their performances is the fact that they avoid the european circuit and only turn up at major championships, Although the greek coach says the reason for this is the huge financial endorsements they receive in their own country, thus leaving little reason to run in europe for prize money.

I dont think that will wash. Is their ever enough money?
YUKON QUEST
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
There's a related thread in the Rambling Runners forum.

Dan

sorry I saw that when I've just written
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that Kenderis is scheduled to light the torch??

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that was scheduled Paul ... Sad ... Sad state of affairs ...
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: I want Exum back!!! Reply with quote

___Kenteris and Thanou may be out. The Swedish national team threatens to withdraw from the Olympics, if Kenteris and Thanou are not punished.
__Well, the IAAF goes after everyone, but we hear, the US, are getting the worst of it because people like Doctor Exum were scapegoatted.
__Doctor Exum has his priorities straight, and so should IAAF.
__Doctor Exum's main priority was the health of an athlete. His second priority was catching the cheats without embarrassing the US athletics.
__If not Doctor Exum, the US athletics would have already suffered the same disaster as the Finish athletics during the 1970's when they had quite a few cases of athletes suffering sudden death. Why? Because when they dope on their own they cannot control the dosage, nor side effects, as well as when they dope under physicians supervision.
__The IAAF wants money. The IAAF grew the Grand Prix into the Golden League, Super Grand Prix, Grad Prix I, and Grand Prix II. How are they going to achieve it without doping?
___Does anyone in these fora believe that there is a person on this Earth who can run a dozen times a year 100 meters under 10. 20 seconds without using doping to speed--up the recovery process?
---
----
"Drago" "Hornet" "former Scooter 69" "Kolaczek"
indeurr, indeur, pecunia, dekolak
Elizabeth, New Jersey, 07206
908-558-7487
6' 3/4 '' 188 lbs
previously/born,
Bialystok, Podlasie, POLAND_Raquil and Ayhan withdrew, and became instant suspects in the ongoing dopping scandal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

___Marion Jones is taking the former head of BALCO to court. Before she said that she would do the same with her ex-husband. Did she?
__Marion Jones wants 25 million dollars.
__Well, I can understand her. She needs money since her adventure with professional sports, at least as an athlete, is already ended.

____
dekolak indeurr vincovita Scooter 69 Hornet Kolaczek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: