Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
800m training program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningfreak_89
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: 800m training program Reply with quote

I am going to be a high school sophomore next year and last year my PR was 1:57, my goal is to be able to run sub 1:50 in my senior year. Does anyone have any long term training programs that i might be able to use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps to start with what you've done to date.

Dan
runningfreak_89
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last pre-season i did a lot of just running to get mileage. I would have about 25-30 mile weeks in the pre-season, alternating between running 3 miles and 6 miles. I would the 3 mile workouts at close to 100% while i did my 6 mile runs close to 70%. Once the season started i would only do about 2 3mile runs a week. I would alternate these 3 mile runs with about 2-3 days of interval training a week.

2x1600 in 5:30 each with 7 minute interval

6x800 in 2:20 each with 3 minutes intervals

10x400 in 1:10 each with 1:30 minute intervals

I did a lot of these types of workouts once the season started getting into full swing. Over the weekend i usually didn't do anything more than a 4 mile run at a very slow pace. One thing i didn't do at all, because i had no clue what exercises to do, was workout in the weightroom.

Is this a good workout pattern, if not do you have any tips on how to change it. thanks a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a solid base plan and you obviously have a lot of talent in your favor, running that time at your age. However, I see that more as moderate XC training, not the sort of thing that will specifically hit your 1:50 goals.

I'm assuming you don't have a coach giving you workouts at this time, otherwise you already have a plan you should probably stick to (or get actively refined).

The key to running 1:50 is training at that pace. 55 for 400m is what you want to be able to hold comfortably. When you can run 4 quarters at 55 with a 200-400 jog recovery, you're ready to break through. My favored approach is to start with whatever length interval you can hold goal pace for and steadily build up. 200's at 27.5, 300's at 41, 400's at 55, 600's at 1:23, etc. Get to where your race is just a matter of finishing the hard workouts you're already doing in practice.

I'd leave some of the longer interval workouts in there, because they'll help build a good strength base to maximize the effectiveness of the faster stuff.

Dan
runningfreak_89
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have a high school track coach but he was never a middle distance runner so he doesn't no what workouts are good for me. Thanks a lot for the advice. I was also wondering what you thought the best strategy for running an 800 was. Personally i like running in the pack and then sprinting the last 100-200m, but i don't know if that is the best way to improve my times and results.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a conservative way to race that tends to work best when you're running for place, not for time. To run fast, you need to put yourself in good position on the first lap. For a 1:50, you're looking at about a 52-53 for the first lap to give yourself a good chance.

As for race strategy, the first lap should always feel pretty relaxed if you aren't over-doing it. About 50m into the second lap is where it starts getting tough, so that's where you need to energize yourself. Make a good 100-150m push at that point, use the first 50m of the last turn to regroup, then hammer for home!

Dan
runningfreak_89
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is going sub 1:50 a realistic goal? For the 1600 my PR is 4:29 and for the 400 my PR is 51.8 what is a good goal to have when i'm a senior? Lastly for to run for a college track team what should my times be in the 400,800,1600?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the answer to most of those questions would be ... it depends. Neutral

It depends how long you've been running.

It depends how much emphasis you placed on preparation for those 400/1500 PR efforts.

It depends what level college you hope to run for.

You'll have no problem running at the DIII level with your current performances, and you may garner DII interest without even improving.

Running 1:57 as a frosh, I see no reason why 1:50 would be out of the question by senior year. But a lot of it depends on how long and hard you worked to get to that 1:57. If it was early in your running career, then you're probably pretty untapped. But I've known people that ran great times in Jr High but were pretty much maxed out after that...

Your 400m PR equates to about a 1:58, so you're actually a bit ahead on the endurance side (makes sense from the workouts you listed). Improving your top end will have to be goal #1. A 1:50 is going to require about 48.0 speed for an open quarter.

Dan
runningfreak_89
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it.
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents:

A knowledgeable coach will help immensely. You have an aggressive goal. If your HS team coach is not experienced with coaching middle distance, you should find someone else locally . Run-Down has a list of coaches, and you could ask more experienced runners that you know. Failing that, there are lots of good books on middle-distance training.

One other thing you'll find as you get better is that people love to give advice, but most of them lack the requisite knowledge and credentials to be giving it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like me. Smile

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how the 800m was (is?) your main event and you coach collegiate track, I wouldn't exactly put you in the "unqualified to give advice" category... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: