Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Half marathon sub 70 mins

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi my name is graeme and this running forum i find really interesting and i am looking for someones help, ijust turned 17 years old and can run a 79minute half marathon and i am training very hard so i can try to break the 70 minute mark, the training at the moment has helped me a lot,running many personal bests but my 1\2 marathon time seems to stand around that mark of 79 as i don't think i have the speed so i am asking everyone if they have a good training program or some ideas which could help me or some ideas on speed work to help my speed.

thanks
runner!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'graeme stone']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for stopping by. It would help to know what sort of training you're currently doing.

The half marathon isn't exactly my event, but speed work is somewhat universal across distances.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for listening, i run no less than 45min a day with once a week running 4-1km intervals about
2min 50 pace and every sunday run at least 20km
as well as a struckured cycling program this is mostly all my training apart from a few races on saturdays (about 1 every month)

i hope thie can help you a bit more about my
training techniques.

thanks graeme

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people (doing marathon training) like to have around half their mileage fall on one or two weekend runs (sounds similar to your program), but I prefer to spread it more evenly throughout the week, keeping a pattern of hard-easy-hard-easy...

I would think 1km intervals would be sufficient "speed" work for your racing distance. I would recommend doing a higher quantity however. 4x1,000m is more along the lines of a 1500m workout. Personally, I would aim for 8-10 x 1,000m. Again, the 21k isn't exactly my preferred distance!

The other thing that will help any runner is strides. 4-8 x 100m after every workout will do wonders.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for this, i might increase my
1km intervals to 10 and see what happens.

thanks

graeme

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 1999 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask a dumb question since I'm pretty new to running also? What are "strides"? Speedwork?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'jdav3']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 1999 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a dumb question. Strides are sort of a cross between speed work and pace work. The idea (at least the way I do them) is to develop relaxed speed. Usually, you would do four to eight by 100m strides, increasing through the set and/or doing buildups within each stride. Strides are excellent at the end of an interval workout, when you also get the benefit of running fast through fatigue.

Dan
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how a lot of people train for a half marathon.
Day 1
Easy day - about 1 hour easy
Day 2
Warm up - 20 minutes of hard running - 800 repeats, mile repeats whatever - cool down
Day 3
Easy day about an hour
Day 4
Warm up and do a tempo run(not race pace but working at a pretty good pace) do it by feel. You should be uncomfortable for the entire time but feel like you could continue going for another mile or two.
Day 5 off or easy for an hour
Day 6 - run for an hour or so
Day 7 - Long run. Build the long runs to about 16 miles for a half. As you get closer to the race on days you feel good pick up the pace at the end but always start really slowly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: