Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Bekele sets new World Record within Men's 5k

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Bekele sets new World Record within Men's 5k Reply with quote

Kenenisa Bekele set a new world record for the men's 5k event at the Thales FBK Games in Hengelo (NED), running 12:37.35 to smash Haile Gebrselassie's previous world record of 12:39.36 set in 1998 within Helsinki...

Results for 5k race:

http://www.iaaf.org/gp04/results/eventCode=3168/gender=M/discipline=5000/index.html

Updated all-time list:

http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/athletics/m_5000ok.htm
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's huge! Surprised 4 rabbits?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Alan Webb ran 3:33.70 for 4th in a tight race!

Geb was 2nd in the 10K by 2 secs.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling Bekele was gonna get the record today. The simple fact that he said he'd be going for it was enough for me, given what he's been able to do in the past.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that Webb was right there with Bernard Lagat.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with Paul about that yesterday. My question is where Lagat and Webb are in their respective seasonal cycles. Lagat is presumably quite early in his, based on previous years' showings. Webb, on the other hand, I'm guessing is pretty much at his peak. It would appear he trained through Indoor meets and is hitting stride now by sharpening -- probably peaking for nationals since making the Oly team is anything but guaranteed based on his last couple years.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing he'll look great in Sacto but won't improve any come Athens. That would be some brilliant management of training phases if they pulled it off, though.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb may be early in his as well ... Nice drop between his last two races and in his interview after Home Depot said he hadn't really gotten into his speed work yet ... Wink

He's definitely headed in the right direction ... I don't see any other American running 3:33 unless K-nakker want to get in the race ... And I'm guessing Webb runs 3:31 at or just before the Trials ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he was out of shape for Indoor, in which case it doesn't make sense he would've spiked up, it would appear to me that was his heavy training phase and he's since backed off to sharpen the blade for racing. That would imply being close to the peak, if not there already.

I could be wrong, of course. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, except Webb is more like a sprinter ... And when he was most successful in high school, he used meets to sharpen and get faster ... So I see him racing his way to 3:31.xx by the Trials ... Webb is not your normal distance runner ... And I think this is why he went through his period of difficulty - they were trying to train him as such ... He is different ... He is really a speed guy (as far as distance runners go) he needs/needed a different paradigm from the norm ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time he lopped a huge chunk off his mile PR, he stagnated for a couple years. Neutral

From what I understand of the Michigan program from talking to others, they're very mileage based. I haven't read the book, though, so Paul probably has a better feel for that than I do.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul ... Help us out here ... But I think that that kind of program would hinder him ... I was surprised he didn't stay closer to home since his high school coach was supposed to be his mentor or something anyway ...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the book, and I didn't get the idea that Warhurst was especially mileage based, but that doesn't mean he wasn't.

Webb seemed to dislike the lack of off-track training that he was getting in Michigan. And when he did do any of it (core strength, weights etc) he wasn't really being guided. He had to do it himself. Webb likes to have a set program to stick to with every little detail planned out and he needs a lot of attention. This wasn't really Warhurst's coaching technique, and that's why I think it didn't work out in Michigan.

Also, I don't think Webb is the kind of guy that could really benefit from training with Brannen and Sullivan (not that he ever got the chance due to their injury problems) because he wasn't interested in working with them and getting a good workout in every day. He wanted to run them into the ground and race every day. That may be good every once in a while, but racing in practice over a long period of time is counter productive. His training would have lost its structure.

The book does a good job of showing that Webb never lost his cool, and there was no real conflict between him and Warhust. Webb was simply dissapointed in his first year at Michigan, and after much contemplation decided that Michigan wasn't the right place for him.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although its been 2 months and this thread has probably gone cold, I wanted to chip in with my thoughts on Webb. I did become much more of a Webb fan after reading the book last year.
I think maturity played a big factor. Warhurst's system is more mileage based. I got the impression that Webb thought just a few sharpening workouts would take him back to the 3:55 mile level. Sullivan said in the book that it just doesn't work that way.
Webb's injuries the last 2 years have been a major factor. The achilles injury gave him a lot of grief, and every time he felt better he was testing it, causing the problem to become chronic. Then there was the appendectomy last year.
I think Graeme's comments were astute about picking up on the idea that Webb may simply be an individual who needs to train alone. Not a good trait in a team environment. As an example, I watched McGrath this year at Univ of Ore. He never broke 1:50 after running mid 1:48's in High School. He's left the program, now, and has already tacked on a 1 sec PR Saturday in Belgium in a race that he wasn't really scheduled to run in.
Webb has matured the last 2 years, in my opinion, and it is my feeling that he is putting in the base mileage training that he complained a bit about in the book. After all, it would be hard to run 10K Cross in 30 min without putting in the time. He also seemed much less concerned about running 4:04 or 1:52 early in the season. The maturity and patience seems to be there now.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may have left UM, but he apparently put in his time at the school of hard knocks...

Good observations. Thumbs Up

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine what kind of Distance Relays UM would be putting together with Webb, Brannen, and Willis?? Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: