Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Hey all personal results thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be running outdoor track, Micah, but I am not sure about the specific events. Most likely I am just going to run the longer ones 5k/10k, and try to run them pretty easily, just train through them. I have one coming up not this weekend, but the next, where I am running 5k. I'll keep you all posted.

If you want to know what kind of craziness I am embarking on in my training, here it is:

Last Week:
Mon-7
Tue-10
Wed-15
Thu-9
Fri-9
Sat-20
Sun-8
Total-78

This week:
Mon-8
Tue-12 (snowy, tough run)
Wed-18
Thu-3k time trial and 3m warmup/cooldown so 5mi.
Fri-10
Sat-22
Sun-10
Total-85

If you want to know where I am getting my inspiration for this pretty insane increase in mileage, you can go here: http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/Special/Lydiard.htm .

All runs are ran as easily as possible, until I get to 100 mpw and get used to the mileage (probably two weeks or so of 100 mpw), then it switches over to aerobic conditioning, which for me I think is going to be 7:00-8:00 per mile throughout for the beginning.

Yeah, I know you all think I'm crazy. Bring it on. Smile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::sheepish look::

Well... I got my mileage up to a high of 90 per week. Guess what happened?

Achilles Tendonitis.

I have been out for 2.5 weeks with pain still present during running. I am working on reconditioning the thing, and on top of that, I got Mononucleosis 2 weeks ago, so I was completely out of sorts.

Today was the first day I even went out on a run for a week, and it was only a mile, and I had to stop because of achilles pain. I am working with the athletic trainer and my coach, but most likely this year is shot it seems for competition.

::thinking of taking up cycling::
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a rough stretch.

I had an achilles injury once, and I was given a piece of advice from a rather extraordinary runner that you aren't likely to hear from any trainer. Go to a craft store and pick up a plaster-of-paris kit. Get a pair of knee high tube socks and make a cast of your lower leg. Once it is hardened (I can't remember if I did a half cast or full; it's been since '97), cut off the front, leaving you with an L-shape down the back of your leg and bottom of your foot. Next, get a long ace bandage and wrap it around the cast to hold your foot at a right angle at night.

The reasoning behind this is that so little blood flows to the achilles, it is very slow healing. When sleeping on your back (or stomach), blankets push your foot down and keep the achilles in a stressed position. That's 8 hours a day you aren't rehabbing... The cast/wrap takes that stress off it overnight and allows your rehab efforts during the day to be much more effective.

Sucks if you have to get up at night and go to the bathroom, though...

Make sure you're heating the achilles prior to exercise and icing it after.

Following that program, I bounced back from what was thought to be a fairly bad achilles problem in less than a month. Came back the next week and ran my 800m PR...

Dan
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Achilles Reply with quote

Had achilles problems for years. Someone asked if I was threading my shoes through every eyelet. If I was, consider not lacing the final hole or two depending on the make of shoe. I tried this and haven't really had a problem in the 5 years since. Seems for some runners, the extra tightness of the shoe causes extra stress on the achilles. A long shot, but a possibility. After your healed up, give it a try.

Double
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I know a lot of people that over-tighten their lacing. Some shoes have a very stiff (and high) heel counter, which compounds the problem.

Unless you're doing speedwork (i.e. aggressive push off), the shoes can be laced pretty loose with no ill effect, assuming they fit well in the first place.

Dan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the tip about the night cast thing. I am not sure that its anything I need though, because I always sleep on my stomach with my feet over the edge of the bed, so they are pretty much at 90 degrees anyways.

The thing with the shoes probably applies to me, as right before this injury I got a new pair of shoes, ran in them probably 15-20 times and was really annoyed at how high the heel cushion was. It pressed my foot up into the top part of the shoes. I am going to completely take out the cushion in there I think if I use them again. Asics Gel Cumulus, they aren't joking around when they say its like running on a cloud. Its ridiculous.

In any case, it might be 6 weeks till I can come back according to my coach. We had another guy on the team do the same thing, but worse, and he was out November to April. He was real dumb however and kept running through the pain until he tore the thing. I stopped as soon as it started.

For now I am hitting the bicycle and trying to have some fun with my life while I have all the extra time.

Thanks for the help,
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the sensible thing to do. The down time you take now could prevent you from having to take more later. Just keep thinking about cross country season. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: