Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Any feedback on good training applications?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Micah, are you through padding your post count :question: Wink Wink

Adam, I didn't find your questions snippy at all. I think Dan was just trying to nip anything in the bud before it got out of control. You would have had to be here at the beginning of the year to understand that.

I don't consider myself a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination, though I do use many at work, including UNIX based apps and a lot of TCP/IP stuff now. I don't have a lot of spreadsheet experience. I also am a horrendously slow typist.

One of the problems I see, is that there aren't any programs out there to take in all the variables that can occur before one's workout. Pulse at wakeup, dietary situation during the day, added stress at work or school, weather conditions, allergies. And that's not even taking into consideration blood makeup on a daily basis, just to get carried away.

A spreadsheet may tell you a few things, and graph some items out for you, but it won't relate to overtraining or predict with any accuracy what you are capable of in the next race. Only you or someone close to you can help with that.

But there is value in many of the online running logs. Since I purchase almost all my gear from Road Runner Sports, I used their Runners Log for quite awhile, but have not used it for two years, now. Mostly because of injuries that kept me on the sidelines for several months.

I hope you stick around. There are good discussions on all the Forums here. Take some time to read some of the posts and you will get a good idea who the experts are in each Forum section. And don't be afraid of posting some of your own results here. We are a huge self cheering group here whatever your level may be.

welcome Very Happy

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...OK, Micah, I'll start my Samuel Smith moratorium today. But I guess I won't suffer too much. I'm just finishing up my third Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay, with pineapple nectar, and I don't think I've even mispelled any words yet. Surprised

...but I might get an email from Dan with all my grammar errors underlined in red!! Laughing

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, Micah, are you through padding your post count

Paul's just jealous 'cause he was so close to catching Micah a few months ago. Wink

Quote:
...but I might get an email from Dan with all my grammar errors underlined in red!!

Nah, my mom's the proof reader in the family. I just look for embarrassing typos. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true!! A few months ago I was less than ten behind, now Micah has me by over a hundred!! And has reached the lofty World Class status!! Thumbs Up :hapcheer: (Tried to insert an emoticon from bigredlizard board. Didn't work)
AdamWort

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I have run one marathon and several 10k's.
I started running 4 years ago and my goal for now is to complete my next marathon (this november) in 3:30 . This may be a bit far fetched especially since I just finished my first on in April at 4:06.

Still I'm confident that with hard training it's possible. (somehow)
I got tired of using my pen and paper to log runs. I always had to look back on other pages and find similiar training patterns (same amount of sleep, similar weather conditions etc) and it was just a pain.

So, I started to look for better running programs on the PC. Well, I can tell you that was a big disappointment.

I've already been criticised greatly by others for spamming the running community with my run-4-ever posts. Most people hate that. I just don't know how to spread the word and get people interested in helping develop it, if I don't spam. Plus it's free so I don't see why everyone's complaining about it on other sites.

What do you guys think? Is there a better method of distributing an idea/product ? (in this case a running program)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I started to look for better running programs on the PC. Well, I can tell you that was a big disappointment.

You just hit on why no one here is enthralled with the idea... It's something difficult to do any better than the old pencil and paper log book.

Spamming forums to distribute an idea/product is a definite no-no. It'll get you kicked/laughed out of every forum out there, guaranteed. I thought the timing of your first post was very odd, but I'm still not clear what your connection to the run-4-ever software is... Confused

The one and only good approach is to simply find a group of people with the common interest and discuss it. Consider that the alternatives may generate "interest" but not of the productive kind...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, Your target for the next marathon may not be too big of a jump. How did you prepare for the first one and what are you doing different for this one in terms of getting faster?
cameron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: computers Reply with quote

seems to me that all the time people spend looking for running software and graphs and statistics is a waste of time. you should be running!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the idea of keeping records. Graphs and statisics sometimes have little meaning because of the lack of controls, especially environmental, like weather. I personally found when I used an online log, I seldom referred back to it. When I physically write workouts down, I look at them more often, even to the point of reliving the training experience, which can help me in future training or races.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
cj_rees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Running Log Software Reply with quote

I have been searching for running log s/w (I have 1 year's worth of data on a s/s, but it's a pain trying to see any real trends...

Found "The Athlete's Diary" and it looks pretty good. Then found the run-down.com site which has a list of about 30 programs but NO written evaluations. I was hoping someone (maybe Runner's World?) could do a comparative study on them. I would appreciate something to help me in this. If there is a better forum to look at , please pint me. Otherwise has anyone had any experience of actually using running log software?

Chris (UK)
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned previously I have shied away from electronic logs in favor of a written log. But that may be because I have been doing it that way since 1977 and can't change my ways. Very Happy
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: 1977! Reply with quote

Micah, your dating yourself. I was getting ready for my junior year of HS cross-country in 1977 in Pennsylvania. Running can be something that truly sticks with you.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....I am an old old man. I was in college when I started keeping the journal. Surprised
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I'm the old man!! You're still a pup. Surprised Razz

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: