FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Altitude Tents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Altitude Tents Reply with quote

I always wondered why more people don't use high altitude simulation tents, but I just found out that they're around $7,000 Surprised (that's US dollars)

Besides the cost is there any reason not to use them? I've read that they're just as effective at raising red blood cell count as actually living at high altitude, and can be even better because you can easily get out and train at low altitude (assuming you live at sea level, or close to it), allowing you to live high and train low. And since tons of people live in similar conditions all the time, I don't imagine that it can have any negative effects, unless you're in poor health of course.

I all of a sudden wish I had ten thousand dollars Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of any downside, other than the cost and jealousy of fellow athletes.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly they work .. But that is quite an expense ... Ideally one would live near a place where they could do some altitude training ...
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it beneficial to actually train at high altitude as well? Can you adjust to the air, and perform equally well at high altitude (and then better at sea level) or will it always slow you down?

It makes sense to me that one would want to live high and train low, since you have to train fast to run fast. Even though you're putting in the same effort at high altitude, the fact that you're moving slower means you're getting less benefit. And I don't think there many places in the world where you can live at 9000 feet, yet train at sea level every day.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been quite a bit of research showing that "live high train low" is the best overall combination. The positive effects of altitude training can be attributed more to the living at altitude than the training at altitude.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: