Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Gardener runs 6.46s to equal existing European Record

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Gardener runs 6.46s to equal existing European Record Reply with quote

Today in Karlsruhe, Jason Gardener equalled both his British National and European Record in the Men's 60m race, in a time of 6.46s.
Report courtesy of BBC Sport Athletics:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/3490481.stm

Gardener also mentioned within his post-race interview that he could run even faster, and that there was a lot more to come within the following weeks.
Report courtesy of BBC Sport Athletics:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/3490811.stm

Any thoughts??? I believe that if Gardener gets a great start and executes well throughout the race, and has some competition he can run a time in the range of 6.42-6.44s. Some say that he will challenge MO's 6.39s WIR, but I don't think so.
6.39s is TOO far out.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to be mean, but I cannot stop myself from guessing:
when during the WIC'2004 is he going to get injured? Sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Gardener running 6.45 at Worlds ... Question is will this be good eneough for the win ??? I see someone going faster (6.42/6.43), maybe a couple people ... Everyone else has been getting sharp while he seems to have started that way and peaked ... Crawford, Capel, and Powell should provide more than enough competition for him ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Brits tend to start hard training earlier than other athletes? They always seem to focus more on Indoor, and even compared to others running full Indoor seasons, the Brits seem to hit stride earlier in the season.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if their training schedule is any different ... they just seemto reach their peaks early to me ... Some other people probably know their schedules and systems better than I do ...

I don't see many of Christie's athletes early on however .. Speaking of which, does anyone know how Katherine Merry is doing ?? I'm expecting big things from her this year ... And the Russians have already shown it is going to take something extraordinary this year in the 400 ... Course I am waiting to see how well they perform this weekend at Worlds ... But few have gone 49 indoors ... Those that have have been something else outdoors !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything about Merry this year. I've just about given up on hoping for big things from her... She's more injury/illness prone than me. Neutral

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah ... She's not that bad off ... Besides she's coached by Christie ... Course if she wants to do something this is the year it will need to be done .. I thought she was gonna get close to 49.00 ... We will see ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Nah ... She's not that bad off ...[/quote]
Ouch. Neutral

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since Merry satrted running the 400m seriously in 1998/1999 (she came in 5th place in the 1999 Sevilla WHC Women's 400m final, and she ran a PB of 50.21s that year) I thought that she had a birght future, and could take over Cathy Freeman's then-reign over the then Elite Women's 400m runners. In 2000 at the Sydney OG she came in 3rd palce in 49.72s (great race with 5 Women under 50.00sec! Donna Fraser, also GBR, coming in 4th place in 49.79s, what has happened to her now???) and then in 2001 she exploded in her first race, running 49.59s at the Athens GP. She only ran 3 or 4 times that year I believe, and she was ruled out of the Worlds due to injury. 2002 and 2003 have been injury ridden-years for her, and she made a brief return to the track last running some 400m races, in average times in the 51.x to 52.x range.
I'll see if I can find any news about her regarding her furture, and I'll also see what has happened to Donna Fraser aswell!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: