Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix Reply with quote

Are you guys/gals Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix on Friday???
There is going to some great action especially in the sprints with Marion Jones and Zhanna Block clashing in the Women's 60m sprint and Jason Gardener against literally everyone in the Men's 60m sprint.
I'm lookign forward to the event as we over in Great Britain get live televised action on BBC Sport (6.45-9.00pm) and also on Eurosport (6.30-9.00pm).
By the way do you guys/gals get this event televised where you are???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will be televised over here, and I'll still be very surprised if Marion and PBlock go head to head...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no television here ... And too bad cause it was a very good meet ... I'm an average distance fan, but that 5000 had to be awesome !!!! We Americans can't even get a sub 13 outdoors let alone indoors ...

And I would have loved to have seen teh women's 60 ... Been trying to get a read on her but onnly saw her once ... And from what I know she is not going to compete any more indoors ... A nice long jump though at 22'1 ...

Christian Malcolm sounds like he is going to have a good season ... But MLF punkin out in the 60 final doesn't bode too well in my opinion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are full results posted? I saw the recap, but not much more than the stellar 5k and the top 2 in the women's 60m (Jones 2nd, but no mention of if PBlock was in the race).

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full results are here:

http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4854-146502-163718-23372-83905-custom-item,00.html

Zhanna was in the race ... Just ran poorly apparently ... Odd for her, she's usually pretty sharp ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess I've been wrong about Marion twice now this year. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why twice ??? The fact that's she's competing at all, and that she did well in the long jump ??

Long season ... 22 feet is a good indoor jump but not spectacular ... Some very good long jumpers out there ... She'll need to be well over 23 feet ... Frankly unless she goes 24'6 or better I'd consider her long jumping career a big let down ... She has the speed and the levers to shatter the WR ... We'll see what happens ...

As for her 60's so far, I'd say she a 10.90 sprinter so far ... Would've liked to see her against Devers or someone at that level ... Beware the Russians this year as well ... ALWAYS tough in the Olympic years and already showing up well !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) that she's competing

2) that she and Zhanna didn't duck each other.

10.90 will put her near the top of the heap, but I don't think it's quite enough to win even with White out of the mix. But like you said, it's very early. Lots of time still to round into form.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable race by Bekele. Surprised

The margin of victory was amazing. I also noticed that they ran a 2 mile race. I like that. Thumbs Up X-King do you know why a 2 mile as opposed to a 3000? Were they going after a record?

Personally I would love to see the mile and 2 mile contested rather than the 1500 and 3000. All the rest of the races can stay metric but those two just seem more attractive the other way.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just found the answer to my question about the 2 mile. An article on the Runners World site said Geb was going for a world record attempt. It also questioned if he would do it and also questioned his decision to run the 10K in Athens. The article said he was at a hard time in his career and seemed to imply that he needed to concentrate on the marathon.
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right that Geb was going for a record attempt. He announced this attempt about a month ago to the IAAF reporters and it was reported on the IAAF.org website.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW has a slight marathon bias. Rolling Eyes Even after injuries and being away from it, Geb is still better on the track than he is at the marathon.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what they may have been getting at was the idea that Geb should make up his mind whether he is going to pursue the marathon or not and then devote himself to whichever direction he chooses. If he is going to run a marathon then train for it and don't get side tracked going after a 2 mile record. At least that is what I think they were saying.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that. The same could be said from the opposite perspective, though.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: