Distance Den
Thoughts, Advice, Opinions...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why there might be a little concern, but I think my increase is long overdue. If I can handle the work load, I don't see a problem in increasing. I go hard 3 days a week and take it easy the other four. Although I am excited about what's going on and am anxious to continue, my workouts aren't overpushing it (at least I don't think so).

In my 18 months or so of running, I have never had an injury. I'm not saying I'm immune to injuries it's just that I take some necessary precautions. If I felt one coming on I'd be smart enough to hold myself back and get healthy. The only reason I've increased my mileage at this rate is because I truly believe my body can handle it. I'm not trying to be some super mileage type of person who only cares about quantity.
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first progressive run went extremely well. I ran for 40 minutes (about 8:30-8:40 pace) in one direction, then turned around and came back. Coming back, I kept the same pace for about 12 minutes and then started to pick it up. Around 2 miles away from where I started, I picked it up to about 10k pace. When I was about 1.25 miles away, I tried to pick it up even more. Although I'm not positive, I'd say the last 1/2 mile was in the mid 2:50s or so.

I can tell that these type of runs will be really helpful and will probably end up doing one a week or so. Great suggestion Paul!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, I don't fault your reasoning, but you're trying to reason your way through situations that only make sense in hindsight. It always feels right until suddenly it ain't...

Nice job on the run today. I was telling Paul earlier, I like the progressive run approach, but I prefer it less rigid than what you originally listed. Sounds like that's what you ended up doing.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Paul's last post, what I am suggesting is being cautious and conservative when it comes to increasing the training load. Of course the load has to be increased to get faster or to run a marathon but there is a very thin line between the increases and injury. I suppose I have been injured so many times over the last 27 years I have developed a conservative attitude...even if I don't always follow it.

If you are doing enough and you then have the choice between doing more or resting, I would suggest the rest. Does that make sense? Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me. Smile

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a week off I plan to get back to running tomorrow. I plan to go to BP and jog two miles or so. I feel I'm completely healed and am finishing up a pretty bad cold I've had for five days or so. Hope it goes well and I can run about 30 miles for the week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sick this weekend, too. Sad

Starting back up with a short run on soft ground sounds like a wise plan. Thumbs Up

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figure it's not too wise to do 12 miles on River Road like I would have done in the past after coming back from a minor setback. Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt, learn from my mistakes...

Dan
LATL
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Ward wrote:

The key to marathon training is the weekly (or every other week) long run. That is what builds the stamina to complete the distance without bonking. A lot of training plans only take you up to a 20 miler in training. Galloway says that is why people hit the wall at 21-22 miles...they haven't pushed to the full distance in training. So he recommends one run of 26 miles two weeks before your race. I don't think you need to do the two 15 mile runs during the week though. You need to let the week days be recovery days from the weekend's long run.

Joe Henderson recommends a long run of the same time you expect to run for the marathon even if it is slower and you don't cover the whole distance. For example, if 4 hours is your target then build to a long run of 4 hours even if is at a slower pace than you expect to run the race. Do the long runs every other week and on the weeks that you don't run long then you run a 10 miler at the pace you want to run for the marathon. For a 4 hour marathon that would be the 9:10 pace. He says you then combine race pace and race distance on race day and that day only.

Those are just two of many plans that are out there. The best advice though is to get with that training group and see what plans have been used by people who have actually run a marathon. Wink

I'm just an old guy who keeps getting injured. Embarassed

hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: