Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprints 2004 - Athens:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Sprints 2004 - Athens: Reply with quote

___Kenteris is going to win 200 m. He is going to keep the ''flyby'' committee up-to-date on his whereabouts by telling them each 72 hours that he is moving from Spain to Malta to Cyprus to Crete to . . . Athens, and the water he drank by galloons, and the hot--and--cold showers he took before 3 mile runs were therapeutical. Wink
___Thanu is going to move from Kiev to Sofia to Crimea to Crete, and . . . to Athens each 72 hours as well. Wink
___and the Sun will shine again over the Greek uncatchable Duo.
The End Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

by:
Robert Kolakowski
Elizabeth, NEW Jersey 07206
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little fairytale you've penned...

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ato Boldon has confirmed (on his own website) that he is now not flirting around with the sprint double (100m/200m), and will be strictly going for the Men's 200m come Athens. A possible Gold medal in sight of this wise decision???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ato winning gold in Athens would have to be considered a pretty big upset at this point, even with no standouts in the event. What's it been, 5 years since he put anything consistent together?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO standouts over 200 ??? I think Gatlin and Capel should be considered standouts ... They've run multiple sub 20's and all when they mattered ... Throw in the other half dozen or so who have run sub 20 PLUS the numerous athletes between 20.00 and 20.10 and that event is HOT ... Ato making the final will be a big deal in my opinion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's potentially deep, but I don't consider any of those standouts after watching the likes of Lewis, Marsh, Johnson, Fredericks, and Boldon over the past 10-15 years. There's no one out there right now that you can mail in a sub-20. Has to be a near perfect race for any of them to pull it off any given day. In my mind, that makes them good but not great.

And I would disagree that they have run their best times when it counts. Of the current lot, only Kenteris can really lay claim to that. Capel has a lot to prove...

Gatlin, I would agree, ought to be a standout. I figured we'd find out for sure last year, but that never quite materialized due to injury. Have you heard anything from him yet this year?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatlin won two NCAA titles and ran sub 20 in each competition - second title sub 20 in the semis then 20.11 into a headwind to win the final ... Capel ran sub 20 in winning NCAA's and the Olympic Trials ... He ran 20.30 in the rain after running under 20.10 in the rounds ... Those two can run sub 20 when needed ... Poor Capel still has everyone remembering his Sydney false start which wasn't recalled as his premier race ... May work to his advantage ...

As for the rest THEY ARE hit and miss on sub 20 ... Although I think Patton goes there this year ... When he does he is consistent enough to become a regular there ...

Shingo, Buckland and Kenteris have all shown they can go sub 20.10 when necessary ... That's depth as good as any previous year .. People remember the top and extrapolate that to the rest ... But in reality there have been no more than 3 top dogs in any given Olympic year .. this year SHOULD have the most quality ever ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
depth as good as any previous year .. People remember the top and extrapolate that to the rest ... But in reality there have been no more than 3 top dogs in any given Olympic year ..

But that was my same point. Lots of good runners (depth), but few great ones.

I'm willing to back off that statement with regards to Gatlin, who had sort of slipped my mind...

Capel is still just potential on paper, though. He could be as great as anyone we've seen, but he's been in and out of the sport too much and had too big of a failure(s) to be in that group just yet.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I'm willing to back off that statement with regards to Gatlin, who had sort of slipped my mind...

Capel is still just potential on paper, though. He could be as great as anyone we've seen, but he's been in and out of the sport too much and had too big of a failure(s) to be in that group just yet.

Dan

Now that's funny ... Capel has won NCAA's, Olympic Trials, and Worlds .. Gatlin has won NCAA's ... Capel also has the National indoor record (20.26) ... And more legal sub 20's than Gatlin and a faster PR .. He ran faster than Gatlin last year after coming off a 2 year lay off in the sport ... And was ranked #1 in the World .. BUT you consider Gatlin great and Capel not ..

How un-Dan-like ... I thought you were run by logic ... I am not sure which will win Athens gold, but I think one of them (or Patton) will ... And I think both will go under 19.8 which will probably then "qualify" them both as great in many people's eyes .. However, at this point Capel has the better docia ... And only "one" "failure" which arguably was not his fault ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Capel as much as the next guy -- he's probably my favorite 200m runner right now -- but I'm ruled by gut feeling on this one... He hasn't done anything out of the ordinary yet, in my opinion.

His Oly Trials win was the big one that almost cemented him as a great, but it ended up (fairly or not) being nothing to build on. The others, well, how great of a performance did it really take to win? Confused

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: