Distance Den
Footlocker CC

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupp ran 8.54 at the New Balence Games at the Armory in New York but was bested by Josh McDougal who ran 8:50. I would have to agree that Rupp will probably break 8:50 by the outdoor season but it looks like McDougal, Kiptoo, and Footlocker CC Champ Matt Withrow will be the athletes who will be scaring the low 8:40s.

Jeff Nelson's HS record of 8:36 is still safe.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you're logged in, an official welcome back!

I'm impressed that that many guys are running so fast early. Beating Rupp any time is something to brag about, but doing so when he busts a good one is something special. Could we be seeing another record breaking year like when Webb and Ritz were seniors?

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far in the track season only Rupp and McDougal (who is homeschooled) have put up impressive times. But Kiptoo has run sub 4:00 equivilant 1500 and Withrow is the CC champ and beat them all in December.

Withrow has been a no show in the indoor season and has not put up impressive track times compared to Rupp. Kiptoo is injured. He only ran 2 or 3 times in the month leading up to the Footlocker nationals (and still finished 2nd) he was in the lead with 300m to go and was passed by Rupp and Winthrow.

This is a deap boys group but I don't think we have a Webb or Ritz. Kiptoo may break 4:00 but I don't see him runninng sub 3:55, and no one will break 8:40. In my opinion.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still extremely early in the year, though. Guys running 8:50 now means a lot of potential for big times in May and June.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupp, of course, is being coached by Salazar. So I have been reading his Guide To Road Racing with more of an interest than normal. Very solid, in my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing how Salazar brings him around in the late Spring.

And a hearty welcome back from me, Hammer!! We have a few more younger guys that could use yours and DG's (and coachd's!) input.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far this season there have been 8 guys run 4:13-4:10 indoors in the mile. All of the times were run at the Armory with the exception of McDougal's 4:13 (in an open race because he is not allowed to run HS meets) and Rupp's 4:10 (which was run v. college runners @ Arkansas)

Rupp and McDougal are the only preps to break 9:20 indoors for the two!!

Many people are interested in seeing how well Withrow will do since his PR for the mile (or 1600 I don't know what distance they run in Illinois) is only 4:26!!!

A lot of people are excited about Rupp because he is trained by Salazar. And others are excited to see what Ryan Deak from Colorado can do on the track. People seem to gravitate toward Deak and Rupp, as far as a fan base goes. But McDougal, who doesn't get to race as much, and Withrow seem to be better (faster and stronger)

And who knows what will happen with Kiptoo. He may only run New Mexico High School Races. La Cueva High School does not usually travel out of state. Kiptoo won every XC race he ran by over a minute. He wasn't tested until 300m from the finish line at Footlocker.

As new time come in I will keep you all posted. But don't look for Ritz, Webb, Nelson or Ryun because their heirs are not in this group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: