Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Tips for the novice runner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmass1
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Tips for the novice runner Reply with quote

Hello,
Things are going well and my progress is steadily improving, and at the same time I am enjoying myself and actually get excited looking forward to my run which I thought I'd never say. I read the running tips section and was wondering if there was anything else I should be working on. I am trying to build my stamina up and increase my speed. My goal is to improve my time to an 8 min. pace. I can run a smidge over 9 min. right now but if I try to go faster I die after a few minutes. I am interested in tips on breathing techniques, toe running, body mechanics etc...
wmass1
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps: I am only running on a treadmill for now.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read the running tips section and was wondering if there was anything else I should be working on.

[snip]

I am interested in tips on breathing techniques, toe running, body mechanics etc...

2 of those 3 should already be answered for you. Wink

Dan
wmass1
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I did read those articles but was wondering, when you "toe run" do you concentrate on not letting your heel hit and do you take deep breaths when belly breathing or short quick breaths? I feel silly asking the basics but when I started running last month, it sounded like I was going to snap my treadmill in two slamming away with each stride. I definitely didn't feel like I was running smoothly. I'm trying to I guess glide more, breathe better, run more efficient and improve my posture.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to improve on the basics, I really suggest you get off the treadmill and get outside. Treadmills can build a lot of bad habits, especially if you're new to running.

As the name suggests, you're heels should not be touching the ground while toe running. Picture your foot as a diving board. If you hit the base of the board, it has no return spring, just a heavy thud. You don't want that to be you...

Unless you're a dog (no offense intended), breathing should always be deep and relaxed, not rapid.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: