Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Advice needed Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been running 4x a week for the past month and have found it to be quite addicting! I found that I am an under pronater with a high arch and was wondering if anyone the same can recommend a good shoe? I weigh 234lbs. and am 5'9". I am running/walking for 30-40 minutes on a treadmill. thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else might have a specific recommendation for you, but my #1 advice would be to go to a good running store and have them look you over in various shoes. Just going by the support/cushioning advertising designations doesn't do much good without seeing in person how it fits you.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG DITTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a specialty store and let them fit you. From what you described you need a very cushioned shoe with absolutely NO motion control. Off the top of my head the Brooks Beast or a non motion control New Balance might do well. But the let the experts help you. Is there a Fleet Feet near you? What are you wearing now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using New Balance 879 that I was fit in at a specialty shop. They feel great but it doesn't feel like there is much meat to them. I just went back to them and they really didn't have anything for me but another pair of 879. I am going to see if I can find a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus V but was just wondering if anyone else had a suggestion.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by not enough meat? Not enough support, not enough cushioning, too light, too squishy?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Asics might be a good choice for you. I've run in those before but the inside started to come apart in the heal after 150 miles or so and would rub a blister. Other than that I liked them. I also need cushion without motion control and I am running in adidas super nova cushion now. It is a "meaty" shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, They felt a bit light, good cushioning but could use more in the front of the shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a pair of Saucony Grid Jazz 8 on clearance for 40 bucks and they felt pretty good. I'm still experiencing discomfort on the outside of my left foot though but overall I'm happy with them.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're having problems finding any shoe that fits you right, you might need to go to a podiatrist and get fitted for orthotics. That's the sort of thing we can only guess at in cyberspace. A knowledgeable person at a running store can hopefully pinpoint such things if nothing is doing the trick.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cumulus probably isn't a good choice because it has a low arch. Some people also find that its cushioning is too firm.

Quote:
Off the top of my head the Brooks Beast or a non motion control New Balance might do well.

Brooks Beast is probably the most supportive shoe in existence, so it's on the other end of the spectrum. You might have been confusing it with the Glycerin or Dyad.

If you like the fit of Saucony (they all have a wide forefoot and similar general shape) you might also want to try the triumph and shadow.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake on the Beast. Embarassed

All the more reason to go to a running store Exclamation
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Guest: Graeme actually works in a running store, so his advice is the best of any of us here. Smile

Dan
wmass1
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice and am glad I found this board. I'm looking forward to bothering you all with many more questions!
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are truly an underpronator, and there are more of us out there than shoe manufacturers would like to think, then you can skip all the motion control stuff and just deal with the cushioning, especially packing 230 on a 5'9" frame. If you like New Balance, give the 1041's or the 1022's a careful look at. These are not cheap. If you are running to lose weight, you might simply be going through shoes much faster until you reach a weight you are comfortable with. New Balance has wide widths, which might become a consideration.
Myself, I have 2 pairs of Nike trail shoes, all 10 other pairs are New Balance.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: